by Julieanne Kost

Comments (14)

Created

October 17, 2012

In this episode of The Complete Picture (Converting Images to Black and White), Julieanne demonstrates the best way to convert images to Black and White as well as how to save presets to increase your productivity. Note: although this video was recorded in Lightroom, the same techniques are available in Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop CS6. Click here to download the presets for Lightroom 4 (JKost Black & White.zip)  and Photoshop CS6 (PS_JKost Black White.zip).

Original Image, Default B/W Mix, Auto B/W Mix, Portrait B/W Mix +ROY
B/W Sat-100, B/W Sat-100 Lum+ROYP, B/W Sat -75 Vintage Look

Note: The preset names differ slightly for Photoshop and Lightroom as ACR does not support folders in the Presets tab and I wanted all of the Black and White presets grouped together.

To install: download and unzip the presets for Lightroom/Photoshop (link above) and place them in the following location:

Lightroom

• Mac (user)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Develop Presets

• Win (user)/Application Data/Adobe/Lightroom/Develop Presets

Photoshop

• Mac(user)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Camera Raw /Settings (put the presets loose in the Settings folder – not in a subfolder)

• Win (user)/Application Data/Adobe/Camera Raw/Settings

Note: If you are on a Mac running Lion, the (user)/Library folder is hidden by default. To reveal it, hold the Option key down while selecting the “Go” menu in the Finder.

COMMENTS

• By Gerry Walden - 11:33 AM on October 17, 2012

Nice presets, thank very much for sharing. Using them already.

• By mike - 1:16 PM on October 17, 2012

after i unzip how do i get the presets into my lightroom i can not find the location to put them can you talk me step by step

• By Anthony - 2:47 PM on October 17, 2012

Great tips, thanks. Book marked this for future reference.

• By Ole Gyldenløve - 3:06 AM on October 18, 2012

Thank you for a very instructive video. I was just wondering about the look of your Tone Curve: In my version of LR4.2 it looks like this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30674886/Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202012-10-18%20kl.%2011.18.22.png. Can you please tell me why?

Best regards,
    Ole Gyldenløve

• By Ole Gyldenløve - 5:07 AM on October 18, 2012

I found out with a little help from my friends ;-)

• By Jan Benjamin - 6:31 AM on October 18, 2012

For Windows 7 Users you have to go to Folder Options in Windows Explorer, hit View and tick show hidden files and folders as Application Data is hidden by default. Then go to start, click on User name and the App Data folder is there.Hope this helps – took me a while to solve !

• By Tom - 12:22 PM on October 18, 2012

Very nice and well explained. I was about to go with Siver Efex Pro, but after watching this I think I’ll wait. Thank you!

• By Anthony - 5:37 AM on October 19, 2012

Used this on my first job of this type yesterday. Worked a treat!

• By Ken Locke - 7:44 PM on January 12, 2013

Thank you for the splendid videos. I have tried to download the presets using Mac with Lion OS. Noting your comment re Lion I was able to get to the library folder but there is no save option. I tried copy/paste without success.

What am I doing incorrectly please?

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:15 AM on January 21, 2013

Ken, you should be able to drag the files into the folder in the library.

• By stev - 2:50 AM on January 20, 2013

black and white is a lot more that it seems. . Thanks for sharing the power and the presets Julieanne

• By Steve Mills - 1:31 PM on January 23, 2013

In Win7, it’s a different folder.

(user) /AppData/Local/LocalLow/Roaming/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings

There is no Setting folder where the instructions above tell you to place these presets. At least not on my fresh installation of CS6 (not the suite, just PS).

• By Amelia Collins - 6:29 AM on April 7, 2013

Brilliant tutorials, thank you. I am a little confused about how I access these presets once I have put them in the settings folder. If anyone can help, I would be most grateful. thank you

• By amelia colins - 7:29 AM on April 8, 2013

I have managed to copy the settings into the correct folder, but am struggling to activate them in lightroom itself- can anyone help me with how to access the presets in Lightroom please?
    Many thanks