by Julieanne Kost

Comments (15)

Created

October 24, 2012

In this episode of The Complete Picture (Toning Black and White Photographs in Lightroom 4 ), Julieanne explains the best way to add a color tone to an image using the Split Tone and Tone Curve panels as well as demonstrates how to save presets to increase your productivity.

Single Color Toning

Single Color Toning using the Split Tone panel. Examples include the Original Auto B/W Mix, Antique, Blue, Mustard, Sepia Midtones, Sepia Shadows, Blue, Cyan, Green, Magenta, Orange, Purple, Red, and Yellow presets.

Although this video was recorded in Lightroom, the same techniques are available in Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop CS6. Click to download the Toning presets for Lightroom 4 (JKost_Toning.zip)  and Photoshop CS6 (PS_JKost Toning.zip).

Note: here is an updated version of the Toning Presets for Lightroom 4 (Windows versions)JKostToningWin. I had use and asterisk in the file names which has now been changed to “0_” to keep the “reset” presets at the top of the list.

Color Toning using the Split Tone and Tone Curve panels. Examples include the Original Auto B/W Mix, Coffee Stain, Cyan/Yellow, Forest Horror, Orange/Yellow, Red/Cyan, Warm Strong, Warm Medium, Warm Subtle, Stark Winter, Warm Chocolate, and Weathered Marble presets.

To install: download and unzip the presets for Lightroom 4 or Photoshop CS6 (above) and place them in the following location:

Lightroom

• Mac (user)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Develop Presets

• Win (user)/Application Data/Adobe/Lightroom/Develop Presets

Photoshop

• Mac(user)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Camera Raw / Settings

• Win (user)/Application Data/Adobe/Camera Raw/Settings

If you are on a Mac running Lion, the Library menu is hidden by default. To reveal it, hold the option key down while selecting the “Go” menu in the Finder.

Note: The preset names differ slightly for each product as ACR does not support folders in the Presets tab and I wanted similar presets grouped together.

COMMENTS

• By TomH - 7:33 PM on October 28, 2012

The zip file for your toning presets appears to contain invalid characters in the filenames when I try to unzip it to a computer running Windows 7. Looks like an asterisk is in the path of each filename which is a no-no wildcard character in Windows. Any way you could repost a version that doesn’t have any symbol type characters which Windows abhors?

The presets look really cool and would love to use them.

Thanks!

• By Julieanne Kost - 12:19 AM on November 5, 2012

Tom, Sorry for the delay – I have changed the names of the Toning PResets (removed the * and used 0_ instead). I added the new link for Windows above. Thank you for bringing it to my attention and please let me know if there is still a problem. -j

• By TomH - 7:38 PM on October 28, 2012

The zip file for the black & white presets works fine – just the toning presets that have this problem in Windows 7.

• By Natalie - 11:40 AM on October 29, 2012

I cant seem to find the right place to place the files to. Adobe to Camera Raw and then to settings does not come up on my computer. Does this work the same way for CS6 extended?

• By Julieanne Kost - 12:19 AM on November 5, 2012

Yes it works the same for PSCS6 and PSCS6 extended.

• By Juan Lopez - 8:18 PM on November 7, 2012

Thanks a lot for presets and for all your tutorials. JC, Caracas, Venezuela

• By bruidsfotograaf - 4:36 PM on November 10, 2012

Thanx for these LR4 presets. Looking forward to use them next to my own.

• By Jesse Springs - 11:58 AM on November 19, 2012

Thank you so much for presets and split tone, tone curve demonstrations. Very insightful!

• By Julieanne Kost - 11:20 AM on November 20, 2012

I’m glad that you are finding them useful!

• By samuel desplenter - 6:09 AM on February 2, 2013

Julieanne,
    i want to work on some photographs so that it will look more loke drawings,paintings,old and mysterious…in the middle above (pictures)you have that cloud with a kind of raster(lines) can i have those effect with cs6
    greetings
    Samuel

• By Barry Siegel - 4:14 PM on February 15, 2013

I found the Adobe Camera Raw CS6 presets folder here:

C:\Users\(your name)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings

Julieanne, thanks for the presets. Are you going to update the toning presets for ACR too, like you did for lightroom?

• By TomiL - 7:32 PM on June 13, 2013

Hi Julieanne,
    I have a 64 bit Win PC and I can’t seem to load the presets. Right now I have both LR 4.3 and 5. I was loading them in the 4.3 version. I don’t have a Develop Presets folder in either version. CAn you help?
    Thank you for this and all other great videos.
    Tomi

• By Sander - 8:03 AM on July 14, 2013

I have the same problem on my 64 bit Win 7 PC with LR 5: I can’t find where to put the preset folder. Please help.
    Thank you for the great tutorial video’s: they are a great help!
    Regards, Sander