by Julieanne Kost

Comments (15)

Created

November 12, 2012

If you or someone you know is in the early stages of exploring Photoshop, there’s a new learning destination that’s worth a visit. Photoshop for Beginners is a sub-forum on Adobe.com that is tailor-made for newcomers to the powerful but complex software.

Ask any question in Photoshop for Beginners and you’ll receive an answer that emphasizes visuals — including video how-tos — and steers clear of unnecessary jargon.

COMMENTS

• By Jason Mayhew - 7:13 AM on November 15, 2012

Like all your videos, you are a great teacher. Perhaps you have a video on how to take pictures in the field, import them on your laptop and then when you get home transfer them to your desktop. I am having problems with lost photos, photos that are grayed out and cannot be loaded into the catalog. Appeciate any directions you have

Joe

• By Julieanne Kost - 6:32 PM on November 18, 2012

I think these video’s should help:

Working with Multiple Catalogs in Lightroom 2
      Watch and uncover the most efficient way to work with multiple catalogs in Lightroom. Discover how to combine catalogs by merging a”location” catalog with one in the studio. (2009-01-07)
      Merging Individual Lightroom Catalogs into a Master Catalog
      In this Episode of The Complete Picture Julieanne Kost demonstrates how to combine individual Lightroom catalogs into a single, “Master” Lightroom catalog to simplify a photographers workflow and enable multi-shoot searching. (2010-06-13)
      How To: Move & Archive Images and Export A Catalog
      In this episode of The complete Picture, Julieanne Kost talks about common questions she gets while on the road. These includes lost links in Adobe Lightroom and taking files with you offline. (2010-03-09)

• By Sergio - 2:49 AM on November 21, 2012

Julieanne,
    First of all, A BIG THANK YOU, you are a Master Teacher. Respect.
    I have problems to work with clipping masks, I know the use but I do not know how it works..so I know the result but I do not know what am i doing. I would really appreciate to understand how far we can work with that kind of mask and associate it to the other ones.
    The fact is that I understand…when YOU explain ;) don’t ask me why.
    Thanks for answering and all good things.

• By Julieanne Kost - 12:58 PM on November 25, 2012

Basically when you select the top layer and choose “Create Clipping Mask”, you are telling Photoshop to only display the contents of the top layer where there is information on the layer below (the contents of the base layer – or group, can be any type of layer(text photo, smart object etc.). If you change contents in the layer below (that the top layer is “clipped to”, you will then see the clipping mask automatically adjusted. I hope that helps. -j

• By Matt Dubuque - 7:58 AM on January 7, 2013

Hi Julieanne, I’m sure enjoying your videos on Adobe TV!

I didn’t know an appropriate place to ask this question, so please forgive me if I have chosen the wrong forum!

I was trying to transform a layer over time per your Adobe video, in which I slowly revealed my text like you did with the word “anxiety”.

Everything worked pretty well and I am delighted. But there is one weird glitch!

Even though my color picker icons on the left are set to transform my gradient from black to white, when you look at my mask it only changes from black to middle grey, so the underlying text is never fully revealed, because there is no white.

I’m kind of stumped as to why that is occurring.

It’s probably a real simple fix, but I can’t seem to find it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much! Your fan Matt Dubuque

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:58 AM on January 7, 2013

Matt. It might be because you have your gradient set ( in the options bar) to foreground to transparent (instead of foreground to background color)?

• By Phillip Briles - 3:43 PM on February 2, 2013

I am using Ps CS6 on an iMac running OS X 10.7.5. I am also subsciribed to the Adobe Creative Cloud. Here is my issue:

If I open an image in Ps that I have printed in the past with no problem, it looks fine in Ps. If I place this same visually correct image into a new Document file, it becomes very dark. If I then print this image from the new document file, it prints exactly as it looks on the monitor – dark and dreary. If I print the image on its own, it prints perfectly.

I have printed this image on my Ps gift card template many times in the past using Ps CS4 and never had this issue. Do you know what is causing this?

I know there are a bazillion things in my color settings that could be causing this, but when looking at the Edit / Color Settings pane of both images – they are identical. I understand that CS6 synch’s these settings so I would expect them to be identical and they are.

So what the heck is causing this problem.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
    Phillip

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:35 AM on February 4, 2013

Phillip, sorry, but I don’t know what would be causing that but I think you’re right, it has something to do with the color settings – I would look at see what the Color management policies are set to in the COlor settings – perhaps Photoshop is changing the profile without your knowing, when you copy and paste. If that doesn’t do it, I would post the issue to either of these forums to see if other customers are experiencing the same problem and if so, if they have found a solution.

• By Phillip Briles - 12:44 PM on February 4, 2013

Hi Julieanne,
    Thanks for your assesment of my color-shift issue. I will indeed post my query on one or both of the forums you were kind enough to provide.

Thanks again,
    Phillip

• By David - 4:29 PM on February 13, 2013

Hi,

I am having trouble understanding how to blur backgrounds in PSE 9. We sell hampers (www.spiffinghampers.co.uk) and I am trying to alter some of the photos for the site to give the effect of being shot with a very fast (low f stop) lens. All help gratefully received.

• By Phillip Anthony Briles - 1:54 PM on February 14, 2013

Hi Julienne,

I just learned something about clipping masks that absolutely amazed me, but there is a serious right-brain vs left-brain battle going on within me and I do hope you can help bring this to an end. This is my dilemma.

Why is it that the object shape that actually does the clipping is below the object that the clipping mask is called from? For instance, let’s say that:

1 I have a circular shape in one layer;
    2 I have narrow rectangular vertical shape in the layer above the circular shape whose boundaries exceed those of the circular shape;
    3 I then select Create Clipping Mask with the rectangular vertical stripe layer selected;
    4 The rectangular vertical shape is now clipped or is only visible within the boundary of the circular shape.

What troubles me is that it seems that the layering is reversed. I envision this as the circular shape being the ‘cookie cutter’ that cuts the dough (layer) beneath it, but that is not how it works, as I understand it anyway. If you can shed some light on this or link me to a knowledge doc somewhere, I would be most grateful.

This is extremely powerful knowledge to have at one’s disposal. You’re probably just laughing at all that I’m saying, but I am really doing back-flips with this discovery. Photoshop is AMAZING!!

Thanks,
    Phillip

• By Julieanne Kost - 12:37 PM on February 20, 2013

I know that the Cookie Cutter analogy can be a bit misleading. The way that I think of it is that the information on the layer(s) above, can only be displayed where there is information on the layer below.

• By Rich Boehlke - 10:05 AM on March 11, 2013

After struggling for a long time to get acceptable ink jet prints, I resolved to get it right once and for all. An Xrite Colormunki is in use to profile my monitor and Epson R3000 printer. Still, prints do not match the monitor and some prints are way off only to end up in the trash. All the research I have done lately points to the monitor as the culprit.

After a lot of research, I have decided to upgrade to a NEC PA271W-BK-SV monitor. Since this monitor is 10 bit capable, as is much of my workflow, it seemed to make sense to make it all 10 bit. Thats when I hit a wall, namely Lightroom 4 which is not 10 bit capable and cannot even read a 10 bit psd file. As such, Lightroom 4 is useless, even counterproductive in a 10 bit workflow. After investing heavily in Lightroom lately, I would hate to abandon it. Hopefully, Lightroom 5 will support 10 bit color. Anyone have any insight? I doubt that I am the first person to encounter this dilemma so how do you structure your 10 bit workflow?

• By Chuck DiBari - 11:52 AM on March 23, 2013

Can you tell me if I can use the Adobe DNG converter to convert Canon S110 raw files to DNG to use wit Photoshop CS5.5