by Julieanne Kost

Comments (21)

Created

January 21, 2013

I’m hoping to clear up some confusion with regards to Retina display support in Photoshop CS6. In December,  Adobe released Photoshop update version 13.0.3 (for Mac perpetual customers) and version 13.1.1 (for Creative Cloud members, Mac and Windows). So, if you have PSCS6 – through either the perpetual (“box copy”) or Adobe Creative Cloud membership (“subscription”), and you run the updater, you will have Retina support.  Here’s how to get the update:

1. In Photoshop, choose Help > Updates.

2. The Adobe Application Manager will launch. Select Adobe Photoshop CS6 and choose Update.

How to confirm that the Update worked

1. In Photoshop, choose Help > About Photoshop (Win), or Photoshop > About Photoshop (Mac)

2. For Mac perpetual customers, the version at the top should be Version: 13.0.3

3. For Win/Mac Creative Cloud members, the version at the top should be Version: 13.1.1

If you have a Creative Cloud membership (subscription),  there are additional features in Photoshop version 13.03. Click here to watch my Top 5 Features for Photographers in Photoshop 13.1 (Exclusively for Creative Cloud).

COMMENTS

• By eljay - 6:52 AM on January 21, 2013

And what about the rest of us? We paid for Photoshop CS6 too!

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 8:12 PM on January 21, 2013

Hi Eljay, not sure what you’re referring to. Retina support is available to all Photoshop CS6 customers. Julianne’s article states that the 13.0.3 update is for perpetual license customers to provide Retina support.

• By eljay - 6:11 AM on January 22, 2013

I’m not a Creative Cloud subscriber and I use Windows. I’ve upgraded to each of the last four versions of Photoshop Extended. For Windows, Photoshop is at version 13.0.1. When do I, a loyal customer, get the updates afforded customers on the other platforms?

• By Carlton Hansen - 9:43 AM on January 21, 2013

I cannot get the Adobe Application Manager to even update. It says my Adobe CS6 at 13.0 is up to date on my iMac.

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 8:13 PM on January 21, 2013

Charlton are you Creative Cloud member or a traditional license customer?

• By virginia - 1:03 PM on February 14, 2013

will photoshop elements become compatible with the retina display

• By Julieanne Kost - 4:34 PM on February 15, 2013

Virginia, I can not discuss unannounced products. But I did find this on the Photoshop.com blog

“Photoshop Elements will not fully support HiDPI displays in the immediate future however the team is investigating the effort required to support these new displays.”

• By Lindsay - 1:12 AM on March 26, 2013

I tried this update as well and it did not work. I have the “box copy” of CS6 and am using a new MacBook Pro w/ Retina display. This is effecting all of my Creative Suite 6 programs. Please help!

• By Gustavo - 11:18 PM on April 3, 2013

I work on a company that will hardly make the update to CS6 – or if it does, it will take a long while. Any chance that Adobe release retina display support for CS5.5 products?

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:06 AM on April 10, 2013

I don’t believe so.

• By Pierre Marie - 5:05 AM on April 13, 2013

Dear Julieanne,
    I have the same problem.
    I am a Creative Cloud member and the Application Manager says I made all the updated available . But Photoshop stays on the 13.0 x64 and is pixelated.
    So is In design.; Illustrator is fine though.

any idea?

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 9:36 AM on April 14, 2013

I would uninstall your Adobe Photoshop by using the uninstaller found in the Photoshop application folder. It’s called “Uninstall Adobe Photoshop CS6″ Then, log into https://creative.adobe.com click on Apps and download Photoshop CS6 from there. Launch it, Sign In using your Adobe ID to activate it with you Creative Cloud credentials. Quit Photoshop, restart, and then choose Help>Updates.. to install the 13.1.2 update. If you need more help, post more details on the Photoshop forum, we can help you there: http://adobe.ly/PS-U2U

• By Eddie - 4:16 PM on July 12, 2013

Hi Pierre,
      Have you gotten to update your Photoshop cs6 retina? I have the same problem but would not like to uninstall the Photoshop as Jefferey Tranberry suggested.
      I appreciate any advice.

• By Chris - 3:48 AM on May 16, 2013

I have installed the CS6 and cannot download the 13.0.3.
    If i go to update it says that my 13.0 is up to date.

• By Mark Hobbs - 12:08 PM on May 16, 2013

I am a subscriber, updated and got the retina support on my MacBook Pro Retina Display. However, my PS documents display at half the size originally created. I do realize the premise behind Retina Display, but as a web designer how can I view my documents (mocks) at the size they are intended to be? Example: I create a design at 980px wide, 72ppi as that is the user base. But I can’t see what they will see. I see it at basically 490px wide. Is there a plugin available to be able to design at that size? I have had to revert to my old version so that it display at a readable size. A bit pixelated, but not ideal. Wondering if there is something I can do to make Photoshop behave like a browser does in this instance.

• By Pete Green - 4:10 PM on May 22, 2013

Which screen resolution are you using Mark?

• By Wayne - 2:53 PM on June 19, 2013

Could someone update me on the status of running Photoshop CS6 for Windows on a MacBook Pro Retina (I know it sounds ridiculous but for various reasons it is required by my daughter’s university). Currently, performance is poor with terrible pixelation (almost unusable). Thanks in advance.

• By Ronen Sonnino - 6:02 AM on June 30, 2013

Hello
    When I run the software Photoshop CS6 64 Bit and I went through
    Bridge file I get this message (see file).
    The rest I run Bridge CS6 64bit and I want to go to Camera Raw
    I accept the Hhudt achievements (see attachment)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit