by Julieanne Kost

Comments (10)

Created

March 12, 2013

• Command + U (Mac) | Control + U (Win) applies Auto Tone (which can help set black and white points and increase dynamic range for flat images).

• Command + Shift + U (Mac) | Control  + Shift + U  (Win) applies  Auto White Balance.

• To apply an auto adjustment to every image, enable Apply Auto Tone Adjustments in the Preferences > Presets.

COMMENTS

• By Daniel thomassin - 5:39 AM on March 12, 2013

Merci beaucoup!
    Bonne journée à vous et vos collaborateur .

Dan

• By Leigh - 5:41 AM on March 12, 2013

Hi Julieanne
    Is there an auto-adjustment (planned) that only sets black and white point without touching the other controls, something like auto-levels in Photoshop? It would be useful.
    Cheers
    Leigh

• By Sam David - 5:58 AM on March 12, 2013

I have never agreed with Lightroom’s or Photoshop’s Auto Tone, Auto Color or Auto White Balance decisions, which come out more like guesses. It just isn’t that hard to adjust them manually — the sliders work and the previews are constant and accurate.

• By Sergio Burani - 6:40 AM on March 12, 2013

The real question is: how good are Lightroom’s Auto Adjustment Commands? I have tried them over and over again, with dismal results. Am I doing something wrong? Can I suggest one of your wonderful video tutorials to deal with this issue?
    Thank you.

• By Robert-Peter Westphal - 10:20 AM on March 12, 2013

Hello Juleanne,

am I doing anything wrong – when I press strg + U like you stated in Lr 4.4(RC), in Windows 8 64Bit, in the development module, it opens the preferences, but doesn’t apply any changes to my image.

Best wishes

Robert

• By Julieanne Kost - 4:01 PM on March 15, 2013

Robert, that shortcut should work. Is there any chance that you have remapped your keys or changed the key mapping in WIndow’s preferences? -j

• By Robert-Peter Westphal - 1:59 PM on March 18, 2013

Dear Julieannne,

many thanks for your answer !

No, I haven’t remapped any key, whether in windows, nor in Lightroom. I’m using Lr 4.4 RC. I’ve checked it again, went with an untouched image into developement, and pressed

strg + u -> preferences dialog is opened,
    strg + shit + u changes the white-ballance to automatic.

OS is Windows 8 64bit with current MS updates installed
    Best wishes

Robert

• By Paul Collingridge - 6:14 AM on March 21, 2013

Robert – have you got an unusual keyboard setting? Try it with a U?/US keyboard and setting windows keyboard setting appropriately. We find European keyboards can do strange things in Windows 8 if the setup is not perfect

• By Paul Collingridge - 6:15 AM on March 21, 2013

See…. that was meant to be UK Keyboard (United Kingdom)