by Julieanne Kost

Comments (18)

Created

May 30, 2013

• In Lightroom 5, it’s much easier to add text in the Book Module. Each page now has Transparent Buttons for “Page Text” and, if a photo exists on the page, “Photo Text”.  Note: These are linked to the existing Page Text and Photo Text controls in the Text panel.

28addpagetext1

• When positioning your cursor over a page in the page picker, it displays a circle (just like the quick collection icon). Clicking the circle adds that page to the Favorites list.

29Favorite

• You can now print using Blurb’s “Standard” paper stock, which is a more economical yet lighter weight paper.

• All the same metadata that is available for captions in other modules is now available for captions in the Book module.

COMMENTS

• By Daniel thomassin - 6:42 AM on May 30, 2013

Bonjour;Merci beaucoup pour votre post et la petite astuce bien pratique;Je vous souhaite une bonne journée à vous et vos collaborateurs d’Adobe.

Dan

• By Colin Browne - 3:24 PM on June 3, 2013

Does Lightroom 5 have custom book sizes?

• By Julieanne Kost - 2:14 PM on June 11, 2013

Not really, you still have the 5 to choose from. There are work-arounds if you want to publish the book pages to JPEG files, but the simple answer is no.

• By Alan S - 11:02 PM on June 10, 2013

Can you tell me what the text limit is (number of words in a book) and also the most pictures that can be used in a book, and finally the maximum number of pages allowed?

Thanks

• By Julieanne Kost - 2:04 PM on June 11, 2013

There is a limit of 240 pages to a book. The other questions I can’t really answer because it depends on font size and how many photos you put per page.

• By Simon Kemp - 9:08 AM on June 14, 2013

Under the ‘creative’ page tab I like the first two borders (for horizontal images) but can’t see a vertical image equivalent? Can you rotate that horizontal image border or rotate the (square) page in anyway? TIA.

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:03 AM on June 20, 2013

No, you can’t rotate the image border.

• By Frank Ruggiero - 6:43 AM on June 19, 2013

Hi Julieanne:

I just finished watching your training video on the book module in LR 5 – excellent training video, you make it so easy to learn and understand. However, I have one issue. You suggested that we make a PDF of the finished book to proof for any errors or changes that are needed. I exported a PDF to my desktop, but upon viewing it, I notice that the front and back covers of the book were missing. Is this normal or am I missing something. My concern is when I sent the book to Blurb will the front and rear covers be part of the file or missing.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:00 AM on June 20, 2013

If you have Blurb selected in the Settings panel, if you click the Export Book to PDF button in the lower left, you will get 2 PDF files – one for the cover and one for the book content. I hope that helps.

• By Richard H - 12:32 PM on June 22, 2013

I watched both your LR5 book module video, and the live presentation on 21 June. I noticed in both cases you did not have book spine title text in your example file.

So I have to wonder if you have noticed that setting the LR5 book cover spine text is next to impossible to do with the template you used ? (I am using Windows, and not my Mac for Lightroom.)

1) First, I attempted to create a new text style for my spine text. That was problematic for me because the new style I created/saved seemed to quickly revert to the default installed font and/or point size. After several attempts, and mousing about somehow I managed to get the new style mostly to stay as entered/saved, and moved on.

2) When I clicked into the book spine text area, Lightroom decided to take any text I typed as commands -> to switch directly to different modules and away from the book module I was in. I attempted this several times before I gave up working with the sample template you used and have gone back to using InDesign for books.

Possibly I missed a simple concept in attempting to use/set my own font and point size which causes this to happen when I use the LR5 blurb template.

• By John Amdall - 5:52 PM on June 25, 2013

Julieanne,

I have really enjoyed and learned from your videos. Thank you.
    In Lightroom 5 Book Module, the new pages that I added have a font size of 12 — this is much too small and I am having to change the font size of every page that I add. I am using books that I originally started in Lightroom 4. In Lightroom 4, the add new pages had a text font size of 18, which was much more appropriate.

How do I change the default font size for text in the Book Module for “add page” in Lightroom 5?

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:12 PM on July 7, 2013

In the Book Module, use the Auto Layout panel to create your own preset.
      Assign the font characteristics that you want in the Type panel and save them as a preset, then, n the Auto Layout Preset Editor you can assign your custom Text style preset.

• By bill broder - 3:38 PM on July 29, 2013

Is there a way to transfer a book designed utilizing LR5 from one compturer to another? They are both MAc’s. The book was saved as a collection.

• By ellen brantley - 3:51 PM on August 29, 2013

Is there a way to create (or modify) a page template to add or remove photo cells? Say for instance I want a page that has 8 small squares on the top of the page, and one large photo on the bottom of the page. Thanks so much for your help. You’re a great teacher!

• By Arjun Kartha - 6:22 AM on September 2, 2013

Hello Julianne,

For all those (tens of thousands?) of users who DO NOT live in the United States, and have never heard of Blurb — but have excellent vendors locally — what do you suggest? I read something about a workaround for custom book sizes, any suggestions or tutorials on how to use them? Much appreciated!

Arjun

PS: Custom book sizes is THE NUMBER ONE requested feature for years, and Adobe still doesn’t add this. What gives?!