by Julieanne Kost

Comments (13)

Created

May 22, 2013

In order to visualize how an image might be cropped when a specific aspect ratio (or several aspect ratios) are needed, in the Develop Module select the Crop Tool (R). Then, choose Tools > Crop Guide Overlay  > Choose Aspect Ratios.  Check to enable as many aspect ratio overlays as desired.

25 CropAspectOverlay

Some additional shortcuts/features:

• Tapping the “O” key will cycle through Overlays.

•Shift + O cycles the Overlay orientation.

•To define which Overlays to cycle through, choose Tools > Crop Guide Overlay > Choose  Overlays to Cycle.

•To only display the overlay on mouse-down, choose Tools > Tool Overlay > Auto Show.

COMMENTS

• By Daniel thomassin - 8:10 AM on May 22, 2013

Bonjour;Merci beaucoup pour vos conseils sur le recadrage que je ne connaissais pas.
    Je vous souhaite une bonne journée à vous et vos collaborateurs d’Adobe.

• By Steve Korevec - 10:16 PM on May 22, 2013

Thank you, this is super.

• By Titano Cruz - 3:08 PM on June 3, 2013

As always you ROCK, thank you.
    Titano Cruz

• By Really like this.. - 3:10 PM on June 3, 2013

Next, I would love to see the develop modules side become arrangeable. Be able to put the different modules in order of the most used..I would love to be able to move ToneCurve, Split Toning HSL to the bottom and move up others to the top!!!

• By John Sage (@FinchHaven) - 10:58 AM on June 4, 2013

Since cropping is a combination of both the aspect ratio chosen, and sizing and placement (framing) I’m not sure how this is any improvement over simply selecting one aspect ratio and experimenting with it.

Certainly seems like a lot more keystrokes/mouse clicks.

And completely aside from the (personal) fact that I know what aspect ratio I’m going to use on a given photo moments after I get a long look at it…

• By Julieanne Kost - 2:13 PM on June 11, 2013

John, for some workflows it’s necessary to crop a file to multiple aspect ratios – and clients like to be able to quickly see what that might look like – especially if they’re sitting over your shoulder in the sales room. : )
      I’m sure that you can imagine how this overlay can help people not as experienced at previsualization as you are. Of course if you always know your aspect ratio, then it might not be as useful for you.

• By Trevor Cooper (@trevorcooper) - 11:34 AM on June 16, 2013

Julianne,

Thanks for the tips. One comment/question. In my LR5 setup when I limit the crop overlays then bring up the Aspect Ratio overlays while in the crop tool the overlays are in the opposite orientation to the original photo. For example, a horizontal 2×3 image shows vertical 2×3, 4×5 and 5×7 crop overlays NOT horizontal overlays as your video depicts.

Any suggestions?

Trevor

• By BG - 2:37 PM on July 2, 2013

I have the overlay orientation issue. How do I resolve it?

• By Eric Bier - 8:10 AM on July 5, 2013

Trevor,

Press the X key to toggle portrait and landscape orientations.

• By Eric Bier - 10:30 AM on July 5, 2013

You can also use Shift-O to toggle the orientation of the aspect ratio display.

• By Brad - 9:06 AM on July 6, 2013

Any way to add custom aspect ratios? It would be nice to add an overlay option for major social media sites. I’d even be interested in a creative solution using guides as a preset.

Grace and Peace