by Julieanne Kost

Comments (8)

Created

July 8, 2013

Lightroom 5 will now import PNG files. Areas that are transparent in a PNG will appear as white in Lightroom. And, if you select a PNG file in Lightroom and choose Photo > Edit In > Edit In Photoshop, Lightroom will retain the PNG’s transparency. Note: the PNG will be open in Photoshop as either to a TIFF or PSD file in Photoshop, based on  Lightroom’s External Editing preferences.

COMMENTS

• By Christine - 5:53 AM on July 8, 2013

How does LR5 store the PNG metadata?

• By Rick - 8:04 AM on July 8, 2013

Why doesn’t it support it in the print module where you could make composites by putting pictures behind the holes of a composite matte. It would greatly help the print module.

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:09 AM on July 8, 2013

Perhaps the watermark or identity plate can accomplish what you are trying to do? Both of those features support PNG transparency.

• By Walt - 8:04 PM on July 9, 2013

Glad to hear that PNG import is now included….Here’s to hoping for PNG export

• By Mary - 8:03 PM on July 27, 2013

I was so excited to hear that PNG was being supported. But, when I imported just a few minutes ago…I find the white background you state above. I’m confused…what’s the benefit of PNG support if it’s just going to have the white background like a JPG????

Could you clarify what’s the benefit of PNG in LR 5? Or is there some other way to maintain the transparent background in LR? (I’m very familiar with creative uses of watermarks, but I “assumed” PNG support meant more flexibility in the Print Module.

• By Julieanne Kost - 2:51 PM on August 5, 2013

Customers requested the ability to manage their PNG files in LR in the Library module (both for watermarking and in order to be able to open them in PS without loosing the transparency).

• By Chris - 6:12 PM on August 19, 2013

LR5 still does not see my PNG files !? Is there a check box settings somewhere to tell LR to catalog them ?