by Julieanne Kost

Comments (6)

Created

September 26, 2013

Lightroom can understand changes made in Bridge and Camera Raw (such as the addition of metadata like copyright and contact information as well as enhancements made using ACR such as modifications made to Color Temperature or Exposure). By default however, if you open a file in Bridge and make changes to the Metadata, Lightroom will NOT automatically update the Metadata. Instead, Lightroom displays an icon warning that the file has been changed by an external application.

Lightroom displays an icon to notifying us that these files were changed in an external application.

Lightroom displays an icon to notifying us that changes have been made to these files in an external application.

You can then choose whether or not you want to use the updated Metadata from Bridge/Camera Raw or use the information in Lightroom’s database. To update the file with the external application’s Metadata, click the icon and choose “Import Settings from Disk” (or select the file in the Grid view and choose Metadata > Read Metadata from File). If the information in the Lightroom database is correct, choose Overwrite Settings.

Note: Additional software applications that follow the XMP standard should also be able to read/write Lightroom and Photoshop’s metadata.

COMMENTS

• By David - 7:29 AM on September 26, 2013

love this feature,,,,but also my # 1 “JDI” many times its been awhile since I have viewed the image.Would love for lightroom to show me what those changes are. perhaps highlighted in metadata window. sometimes its just a date,sometimes more then that. But for those of us that do not remember every change that has been made…jdi

• By hek - 3:49 AM on September 27, 2013

Good explanation.

However, it’s weird that when publishing photos from Lightroom to Revel, Revel does not read keywords set in Lightroom. And when the same photos are accessed in Elements 12 via Revel, Elements does not read the keywords either. I think Adobe still has a metadata-job to do!

• By Tom O'Connell - 1:26 PM on September 27, 2013

This raises the question, how do you KNOW which data you want? Is there a way to see what the conflict is? If you add a keyword in Bridge and chose overwrite, will that erase all the keywords entered in LR?

I’m still trying to get my main catalog right and I have the dreaded up arrow on thousands of files…

Thanks

Tom

• By Julieanne Kost - 3:49 PM on October 1, 2013

Unfortunately, you have to know if the edits you made in PS/ACR or the ones you made in LR were the more recent/more important edits. We could only guess which ones you want – and I’m pretty sure when we guessed wrong, there would be the yelling!

• By Harry - 11:44 PM on September 27, 2013

Hi :-) If I update the metadata will it overwrite / delete the older LR metadata, or keep it and add the new metadata from bridge or photoshop to the LR metadata?

Thanks,
    Harry

• By Kyle - 2:56 PM on September 30, 2013

THANK YOU! I’m so glad I finally found this. A photographer friend and I were trying to figure this out.