Adobe Portfolio – Day 3 of the 10 Day Challenge

Adobe Portfolio

Welcome to day three of the 10 day Portfolio challenge! Today we are going to add our first project (set of images) to our Portfolio. And don’t worry about making mistakes, we will also learn how to make edits/update a project at any time.

Start by clicking the Add Project icon (or click the Add Content icon on the left side of the window and choose Project).

08AddProjectGive your project a name and click Create Project.

07AddContentClick “Find Files to Upload”, navigate to and select your images (up to 15 images at a time), and click upload. If you want to add additional images to the project, click Upload Files from the  “floating remote”. You can also use this remote to embed media, add text, and add images synchronized via Lightroom or that you have stored in Creative Cloud.

07FloatingRemote1To make edits to the project (such as adding or deleting images, reordering, adding captions etc.), position your cursor over an image and click the pencil icon.

09aEditProject

To reorder images, click-drag the grabber handle icon (the three lines to the left of an image thumbnail). When finished, click Save New Order.

09bReorder

If you want to add a caption to an image, click the pencil icon next to the desired image and choose Add Caption. From the same list, you can also choose to change the width, alignment, and margins, or to replace or delete an image from the project.

When finished (don’t worry, we can return to this project at any time to make changes), click “2 Cover” at the bottom of the window. Select a Project Cover Image from the files in the project or click the Upload icon and select an image. Use the slider to zoom and drag within the window to reposition the image (the aspect ratio depends on the design in your chosen layout but even this can be changed later using the Customize option). When done, click Crop & Continue.

10Cover

Add the project title, description, date, and creative fields (the more common fields are at the top, then additional fields are listed alphabetically), keywords, and any additional information in the custom filed area. By default, different layouts show more or less of this information. (Both the content as well as what information is displayed can be customized.)

11Project TitleWhen publishing a project to Portfolio, the default is to also publish the project to Behance.  It’s up to you to decide if the projects that you publish to Portfolio are going to be the same as the projects that you publish to Behance (see yesterday’s post for more information about what types of projects I publish to Behance vs Portfolio). If you don’t want to publish the project, uncheck the box and click Create Project.

12PubBehance

Portfolio creates the project, but your site isn’t live until you choose to publish it.

If you decide to share the same project on Behance as well as Portfolio, be sure to fill in any Co-Owners and Credit options and click Next. Then, in the Behance Project Settings, choose the appropriate visibility,  license type, and content options.

12Behnace2

When finished, click to publish – this immediately publishes the project to Behance, but your Portfolio isn’t live until you publish your site.

Click Return Home to view your project, then click the arrow in the upper left to return to your home page.

14Home

Making Changes.  It’s easy to make changes to your project. Hover your cursor over the project cover, click the Pencil icon and choose one of the following:

AddProject

Customize

• Edit Cover Image — to replace the cover image or change the crop. Note: the cover image aspect ratio is controlled in the Aspect Ratio Options (see the Customize option above).

Cover1

• Edit Info — to change Project Info including Title, Date, Description, and Custom Field.

Project

• Edit Project Content  — to edit the images, reorder, add captions etc. Clicking anywhere in the project cover (the thumbnail for the project) will edit the contents of the project.

Adding Multiple Projects. If you are ready to add additional projects, click the Add Project icon and repeat the same steps as we did above.

That’s it for today. Tomorrow we will start organizing our projects and galleries and learn how to customize the navigation.

Adobe Portfolio

Posted on 03-23-2016

Comments

• By Tom Kimmerer - 6:51 AM on March 23, 2016

This is working very well, and the daily instructions are just right. I have a bunch of questions (e.g. difference between uploading manually and using the LR sync), but you will probably address them, so I will wait.

• By John Weiss - 8:52 AM on March 23, 2016

This is exciting. I’ve wanted to do something like this for awhile so I plunged in after your Day 1 posting and was able to create a project with only the normal startup problems learning new software.

My problems started the next day when I tried to add a second project. Once I uploaded and chose Save Your Project, I was returned to the same page and if I then did Return to Home I was told there were unsaved changes. Never could get past that. I used the Chrome browser both days and decided to shift to Firefox and it worked so I now have two projects created.

The only other problem I have is controlling the size of portrait photographs, which right now are too large even on my 27″ monitor. I’ve tried to change the margins, but can’t get them small enough to fit. The landscape photos are fine. Hope you will get into this kind of customization over the next few days.

• By Peter Goode - 1:55 PM on March 23, 2016

This is a great challenge and I am enjoying the experience of learning how to use Adobe Portfolio. In the first day’s post you show your recommendations for exporting the files. Is the 2200 px on the long side a Portfolio requirement? Also, you add sharpening for the screen. Is that in addition to what sharpening might have been done during processing in Lightroom? Does that add additional contrast to the image? Mine seem to be coming out having more apparent contrast.

• By Julieanne Kost - 1:07 PM on March 28, 2016

It’s not a requirement, You can make your images smaller. Likewise you can add a watermark if you want to.

• By Cary Wolfson - 3:06 PM on March 24, 2016

Every time I try to publish my first project I get a message saying something went wrong and to please refresh the page. Then I’m sent back to Step 1. Now I’m at a page that says, “Something went horribly wrong! Page not found.” Considering how much work I’ve put into getting everything together, this is more than a little disappointing.

• By Cary Wolfson - 3:17 PM on March 24, 2016

OK, finally got it to work on the fourth try. Maybe I was uploading too many images at once?

• By Julieanne Kost - 4:24 PM on March 24, 2016

I’m not sure what you got that message, but I’ve seen that error as well. Sometimes I have to go back to the home page and reload. I thought it might be my internet at home, because it doesn’t seem to happen at work, but I don’t really know…

• By Cary Wolfson - 12:25 PM on March 25, 2016

I really like the Portfolio concept, but I’m finding this to be a rather tedious — and buggy — process. Scrolling to re-order photos is way slower and more difficult than it needs to be. I just went through it with a project that has about 20 images. After I finally put them where I wanted them and tried to save, I got the dreaded “something horribly wrong” message and had to do it all over again. When adding a caption to an image there should be a way to create a default size and alignment, e.g., centered, 24 pt type. In one of my projects, there’s one image that won’t allow me to adjust size and alignment *at all.*

Also, your suggestion to export the jpegs at 2200 pixels on the long side creates gigantic images; ones in portrait mode won’t fit on my screen. (I had friends verify this on their own computers.) From what I’m seeing, 1200 would work better.

Anyway, that’s my experience. Other people’s mileage may vary.

• By Julieanne Kost - 2:29 PM on March 28, 2016

Hi Cary, you can always make your images smaller for your audience, not a problem. Thanks for making a note of it in the comments. Also, I find that if I add a sequence number to the beginning of the file name, then it’s much easier to import them in the correct order. I do this using the File Naming options in Lightroom – add a suffix before the original file name. I hope that helps. -j