DPS Examples app now available for iPad and iPhone

Many of you have asked for an app that provides examples of the DPS techniques that I outline in this blog. Well, at long last, I’ve pulled it together.

DPS Examples is an app for iPad and iPhone, available now in the iTunes Store. It provides functional examples as well as direct access to the blog posts to which they refer. Going forward, new articles will always feature a correlating folio in DPS Examples, and I’ll work to backfill over the next few weeks. Of course, it’s free, so go ahead and download it from iTunes and give it a spin. Be sure to accept push notifications so I can alert you to new posts as they arrive.

7 Responses to DPS Examples app now available for iPad and iPhone

1. Sarah says:

Hi James, I love the ipad app.
    I’m doing my first single-edition project, and was wondering if there was a way to calculate the size of the published folio when it’s downloaded from the app store. I’ve done a little googling about it, but haven’t come up with anything. FYI, our convention center wants to know because they’re calculating bandwidth issues. thanks!

• James Lockman says:

Hi, Sarah.

You could look in the Content Viewer when you are proofing your content. Ensure that your title is in the Folio Producer service and not local, and then sign in on the Content Viewer. If you are using a Release 24 or under Content Viewer, then when you tap the folio to download it in Content Viewer, you will see a progress bar indicating how many MB the download has completed and the total size of the folio.

Beginning in Release 25, you won’t get this size information when you download. However, if you’ve already downloaded the app to the iPad, then you can tap the gear in the upper right hand corner of the library, then tap “Remove Issues from iPad.” Once you do that, you will see the size (in MB) of your folio in blue in the lower right hand corner of the cover image. If you don’t want to delete the folio, then of course, click “Cancel” in the upper left hand corner of the screen to go back to normal library mode.

Then, of course, you need to add about 6MB for the app wrapper. Hope this helps!

2. Marco Vazquez says:

Hello James,
    Thanks a lot for bringing some light about how to add more rich content into the DPS stuff. My head is still trying to get around the workflow and best techniques, but could you point me into the right direction regarding which DPS solution would allow me to do what you are doing with the iPad app?
    The goal is to have a main “host” app, and the new folios can be downloaded when the user wants to read it.

As a reference, I’m subscribed to Creative Cloud but haven’t requested the Apple developer membership until i figure this and some other things more.

Thanks for your time!

• James Lockman says:

Hi, Marco.

Creative Cloud Membership entitles you to make Single Edition DPS apps, which is to say that they lack any library, have all of their content embedded, and launch directly into the folio when you tap them. If you want a DPS app with a library like mine and like the vast majority of the magazines out there, then you need to look at DPS Pro or Enterprise. Depending on whether you need to customize the Viewer App’s interface, you night be able to get by with Pro. If you do need to customize how the library looks, include a custom storefront, or build and deploy apps for Enterprise internal use, then you need to consider DPS Enterprise. There’s a comparison matrix here.

3. Tim says:

Great app…only thing is on the quiz article it can be tricky to press the submit button because the hot zone for navigation appears…

can you help me figure out why my feedback only appears “behind” everything and as a tiny rectangle in the top left corner? http://forums.adobe.com/message/5225266#5225266

• James Lockman says:

Try including your fonts when you build your app. In the App Builder, you can include fonts by zipping them and adding them to the app on the icons page of the App Builder. Look for “Optional Fonts ZIP for HTML” at the bottom of the page.