March 04, 2006

A nice send-off for LiveMotion

LiveMotion, the project that brought me to Adobe, has been dead & buried for more than two years. That said, it was nice this week, at the first Flashforward show since Adobe and Macromedia came together, to close out that chapter with the LM-authored Words at Play site winning the Typography category. Congrats to Steve, Bo, Roberto, Matteo, Whitney, and Alyson.
The whole LM thing was a tough row to hoe, and though we fell short, many of the issues we took on (tight integration with Photoshop/Illustrator/After Effects, rapid extensibility, etc.) remain priorities for designers & developers. It’s great that we now have the chance to work on them together, in the app people already know & love.

Posted by John Nack at 8:42 AM on March 04, 2006

Comments

• eric.dolecki — 9:12 AM on March 04, 2006

do you know patrick brennan – he worked here in boston on LM2.
    [I did know Patrick, but I lost touch with him when the project was shut down in 2002. I hope he’s well. –J.]

• John — 9:15 AM on March 04, 2006

LiveMotion was awesome — although its handling of ActionScript was not so good.
    I would love to see the LM/AE interface make a comeback in Flash9. While I use Flash daily, the current Flash timeline has always irked me. Flash renders out timeline animation as frame-by-frame animation, so I never understood the logic of only allowing 1 keyframe to handle all properties.
    Give me PARTS in Flash 9 — I would be a happy man. :)

• eric.dolecki — 1:35 PM on March 04, 2006

he worked with me at Convoq, but he now works at VistaPrint in Lexington, MA.

• Ryan — 9:02 PM on March 04, 2006

I LOVEE LM2. I hope that Adobe would make a product that was as easy to use as LM, (importing AND editing layered files in their native format), and the simple use of keyframes, (without having to make it a mc.. blah blah blah). I still use LM for my flash. I just listened to the inside mac radio’s interview with Mr Nack, John PLEASE try and bring some of the UI and ease of use from LM to either Flash or Image Ready!!
    Oh, and a huge thank you to the LM team, I know it was an uphill battle project, but you guys were on the right track!

• aled — 4:11 AM on March 05, 2006

I hate the Flash interface with a passion. It is unintuitive. I have tried to learn it on several occasions without success. I bought LM2 and was blown away, and ActionScript was amazing.
    If Adobe take a very close look at Director (v8 to MX 2004) they will find a fantastic keyframe interface not unlike LM2 and the Lingo language is also amazing.
    I could never work out why Director was never crafted into a Flash replacement as soon as they realised vector graphics were good for animations turning the great Director interface into a Web centric Flash file format environment would have been amazing.

• viskwal — 10:44 AM on March 06, 2006

I’m with you. Flash is very un-intuitive. I have been scripting in flash for years now and I still hate it.
    I recently did an animation project in After Effects and while I don’t get to use it very often, After Effects is a joy to work with.
    All of the Adobe stuff as a matter of fact.
    While Macromedia has some nice technology in house, they can learn a thing or two from adobe when it comes to GUI and workflow stuff.

• John J — 11:21 AM on March 06, 2006

As far as I’m concerned, there’s nothing that wrong with the Flash interface – and without doubt it beat LM hands down.
    LM – as it’s demise is testament to – was just awful. It just was not in the same league as Flash, and pretty much everyone in the development world was happy to see it go. That’s if they even cared enough about such a lame product to pay any attention to it’s death.
    Here’s hoping Adobe don’t try and destroy Flash 9 with their standard sluggish counter-intuitive interface – I’ve already got enough products by Adobe that sap my will to live.

• Mike Downey — 11:49 PM on March 17, 2006

Friends, please, let’s stop the LM vs. FL war once and for all. :)
    We’re all one big happy company now and we plan to enhance our tools without fundamentally changing any functionality. The timeline in Flash, for example, will not likely undergo significant change. However, we may add optional/additional functionality that adds to the current model. We simply can’t drop a bomb on 2 Million Flash users like switching from a frame-based timeline to a time-based timeline (not to mention the Player is also frame-based).
    We have some ideas on how to provide the best of both worlds without disrupting any existing workflows and we will continue to move down this path.
    In the end we just want to build the tools that our customers need.
    Feel free to send any ideas directly to me at mdowney — at — adobe.com.
    Mike Downey, Flash Product Manager

• scottcc — 1:08 PM on January 24, 2007

Flash needs an overhaul. I learned Livemotion first and I believe it was only killed because Adobe decided it was easier to buy the competition than keep developing it.
    [Well, LM was killed in 2002–more than three years before the Macromedia deal was announced. The decision had a lot more to do with being late to a market that was imploding during the product’s short lifespan. –J.]
    I’m sure if Adobe thought iut could acquire Quark years ago Indesign wouldn’t have gotten past version 1.5 or 2.0. I personally liked LM a lot. Design-wise, it made more sense. Sure, action scripting was a bit odd but ever since MX 2004, unless you’re a programmer designers aren’t gonna use Flash for that too often either.

• Matt — 8:43 PM on October 15, 2008

LiveMotion was the best. I still think it has benefits that Flash is still lacking.

Copyright © 2019 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)