June 21, 2008
Saturday Science: Great photos of Earth, Mars, & beyond
Boston.com’s new feature The Big Picture dispenses with traditional peanut-sized Web photos and showcases great images in the news. Site designer/developer/writer/photo editor Alan Taylor talks about his brainchild and how it came to be. [Via] Lately they’ve been harvesting the best photos that billions of tax dollars can buy:
- The Sky, From Above features gorgeous shots of the Space Shuttle at liftoff, as well as of thunderstorms over the American Midwest and more. [Via]
- In Martian Skies, you can view panoramas from Mars and watch dust devils skittering across the Martian landscape.
- The site also features a retrospective of some of the great images sent back home by the Cassini space probe over the past four years. [Via]
LightWave Rendition for Photoshop now shipping
The resulting output delivers a high-quality, photo-realistic image, all from within the Photoshop Extended environment.
LightWave Rendition ships with sample projects and a library of 3D model art. The product also includes support for 3D models from a variety of applications, including LightWave 3D, Google™ SketchUp’s 3D Warehouse or many readily available 3D formats. It includes:
- Slider Controls for Render and Anti-Alias Quality, allowing for quick preview renders up to photo-quality images.
- Material Presets for the option to apply a preset material or any selected Photoshop materials to the surface of your 3D object for complete flexibility in design.
- Light Environments open the use of the default Photoshop Extended lighting environment or users can add to the power of LightWave Rendition for Adobe Photoshop by using any 2D layer as a light map for complete control of the final light environment.
The product is $149 for Mac and Windows & is available for purchase and download from the NewTek site.