March 08, 2009

Sunday Type: Comics, zombies, & more

• Poor Papyrus: It’s on the hit list of this Simple Pledge. (Man, next thing you know, photographers will be told that black jeans & fanny packs are on the way out.)
  • “We meet again, my dear doctor…” Blambot presents a detailed but accessible survey of Comics Grammar & Traditions. [Via]
  • Graphic Mania features a roundup of fresh 3D typography. The fountain of type for the Zune Marketplace sorts me out.
Posted by John Nack at 9:57 AM on March 08, 2009

Comments

• Doug Nelson — 5:28 PM on March 08, 2009

All the 3D type samples were pretty, but many of them were illegible.
    3D type will be as cool as drop shadows in 6 months.
    [Heh–here’s the irony for me: Making things easier to do in Photoshop sort of cheapens the coin. Drop shadows *were* cool when they took a Real Man(tm) 45 minutes apiece to make. Then came layers, and then layer effects, and suddenly it was a sucka’s paradise. –J.]

• Klaus Nordby — 7:27 AM on March 09, 2009

John, you know nada about being a Real Man(tm). For I know the real story about making drop shadows the harrrrd way. Starting back in 1980, I did them with my stat camera: I defocused Letraset-set type, shot a transparent positive and sandwiched that with the sharp type. In Oslo in 1980, that was absolutely killer state-of-the-art stuff! So I don’t feel guilty about making drop shadows galore in PS and AI and ID — I practically invented this graphical trope. Kind, sorta, in my own pond, at least.
    [Damn–that *is* some serious machismo! I have similar stories about doing things “uphill both ways” in early versions of Flash (not that anyone would now care). Ah, kids these days… –J.]

• alan Hess — 7:36 AM on March 09, 2009

I love BLamBot.

• Rick McCleary — 9:37 PM on March 09, 2009

Yeah, and then there was all that glowing typography we created for those monstrous 15-projector slide shows. Using a 4×5 camera, you’d shoot a kodalith of the type (that you’d get from an actual type house, set by real typographers). Then you’d make a contact “print” onto another sheet of kodalith in order to get a positive. Then you’d create a multi-layered sandwich (in this order, from bottom up) of: the kodalith negative, a sheet of glass, a sheet of tracing vellum, the kodalith positive, and – viola – glowing type. Of course, if you wanted the type to be one color and the glow to be a different color, you’d pin-register the whole affair and do multiple exposures swapping the positive and negative kodaliths in and out. Of course, this all worked best between the hours of 12 midnight and 4 a.m. And now, all you have to do is… aww, forget it. (Can you hear the barely hidden “kids-these-days” bubbling in the background?)

• james mann — 2:33 AM on March 10, 2009

In my experience, less is always more. Dropshadows can be useful so long as you do not overuse them. As for 3d type samples, again less is more, so if you are making them in Cinema 4d, use subtle lighting or spotlights on a white background and save the whole things with an alpha channel.

Copyright © 2019 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)