April 16, 2009

Funky error messages o’ the day

Check out what Daring Fireball calls the “Jedi Mind Trick Error Dialog in Dreamweaver.” I have to smile a little thinking about similar alerts that could pop up from time to time: “Photoshop is not messing with picutres of your exes. Nope, don’t know where you heard that. [OK]*”
Elsewhere, I just stumbled upon this old weirdness in the bowels of my hard drive. It’s a screenshot I took ~15 years ago, squirreled away, and forgot until now. Props to that old developer for having a sense of humor.
* Absolutely tangential, and in no way work-related, but tied to the “don’t sweat it vibe”: Peter Bjorn & John’s “Nothing To Worry About” video.

Posted by John Nack at 12:47 AM on April 16, 2009

Comments

• Mark Thomas — 1:31 AM on April 16, 2009

One of the most memorable errors I’ve ever gotten happend, I think, in Illustrator 5, and went something like, Could not complete the operation because it is behind you.
    [Heh–maybe they thought it was beneath you. :-) –J.]

• Drazick — 2:16 AM on April 16, 2009

Hello John.
    Could I have your comment on this:
    How does Adobe calculate the Luminosity Channel?
    Where can I get the exact math behind the blending modes (Official Adobe)?
    Thanks.

• Ammar Midani — 2:45 AM on April 16, 2009

This is really funny reminds me of a list of filters we once talked about, the list includes something like:
    – Make miracles
    – Apply increase
    – Kill boss

• Phil Brown — 3:46 AM on April 16, 2009

I enjoyed your old screen shot, John :-)
    I wish I’d taken a screen shot of a similar message from a game a couple of years back – something along the lines of “You’re already the patcher, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!” (Seriously, about that long).
    Love a sensayuma in coders :-)

• jimhere — 7:10 AM on April 16, 2009

I sometimes get the Save For Web error:
    Also, that old screenshot from 15 years ago, it wasn’t a .pict originally was it?

• Jon Schroeder — 9:03 AM on April 16, 2009

Could you make the background of your text a little darker gray…right now it’s still almost readable. Is this a test of how motivated your faithful readers are? Maybe it’s “squint and ye shall receive” :)

• J. Peterson — 3:05 PM on April 16, 2009

-37 was “Bad File Name” (like, you typed a ‘:’ or something). Would it have killed the developer to look that up in a table?
    At least that was more advanced than MacTCP, which announced problems by freezing your machine. MacTCP was evil enough to make me switch to Windows for a decade, but I digress…

• Mike Skocko — 5:22 AM on April 17, 2009

I’ve also gotten jimhere’s Save for Web shortcut error several times in the past month. CS4, OS 10.5.6, using the keyboard shortcut to get there (Shift Option Command S). Have never encountered it in any prior version of Photoshop.

• Somerset — 1:29 PM on April 17, 2009

I get the “save for web” error mesage too! Every few times (maybe 1 out of 4 saves?) it pops up. I haven’t changed any keyboard short cuts in ages and I’m not sure what gets reset when I accidently say “yes”, but it is annoying as it takes up a few more seconds of my life each time it shows up.
    If any thing, it might be related to the order in which I press the keyboard shortcut: ctrl+alt+shift+s versus ctrl+shift+alt+s?

• LMPogoda — 7:04 AM on April 18, 2009

Please use some reasonable video hosting platform, MySpace shows hilarious “Video not available in your country”. Excuse my rudeness, but what the ****, is Poland some kind of North Korea or Cuba?

• Chris — 9:14 PM on April 24, 2009

Funny site, but what’s with anger towards adobe when there are much, much better targets… Does anyone know of a Microsoft UI Gripes site?
    [Maybe it’s a sort of compliment, in the sense of what Alan Kay said about the first Mac: it was the first personal-computer interface good enough to criticize. –J.]

• Martin Taylor — 4:03 AM on April 29, 2009

You’ve got to be kidding Chris, Adobe are more than worthy targets when they charge so much for this stuff.

Copyright © 2019 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)