July 19, 2009

Adobe Updater improvements planned

The Adobe Update Manager has been a source of grief & ridicule for too long. The good news is that a bunch of folks are working hard to fix it. Check out the details if you’re interested, and feel free to send the team feedback on their plans.

Posted by John Nack at 1:08 PM on July 19, 2009

Comments

• Mark Nolan — 12:07 AM on July 20, 2009

It’s refreshing to hear that, I look forward to a version that does work as God intended.

• Gretchen McKinney — 9:39 AM on July 20, 2009

John–I know this isn’t the most appropriate way to get in touch with you however I am in DESPERATE need of assistance. I have waited over 30 minutes twice today to have a CS rep hang up on me when I requested a supervisor. I am in tears! It is in regards to CS4.
    Thanks!

• Pat Testing — 3:08 PM on July 22, 2009

I find it a little frustrating that the updater does it’s thing everytime I start up Adobe. My PC came preinstalled with Norton (tried to remove it completely) but somehow it tries to block internet access to the updater everytime and I have to manually ‘allow’ the updater to do it’s thing. Most of the time I hit ‘disallow’ because i’m impatient – even if there were some updates, when I’m just about to START on something is not when I want to be told!

• Michel Debar — 4:55 PM on October 16, 2010

The Adobe updater for main line products (Photoshop, …) may have its weaknesses – sometimes irritating, but it is nothing compared to the absolute dumbness of the “Adobe download manager ‘Powered by Getplus'”, plugin for Firefox running on Windows (xp, 7); supposed to update Flash or Reader. Most often, it simply fails repeatedly to install or update itself, or else it appears many times during a session without any valid reason – for instance when getting files in ODT format from Google Documents; nothing to do with Flash update – afaik). For the past weeks, this beast has been more annoying than whatever else my computers can do to me. PLEASE, Adobe, FIX IT OR SCRAP IT, FAST.

• Anon — 3:14 PM on February 20, 2011

I don’t really want to rant on your blog but since Adobe “contact support” does really provide a means of contact other than paying $39 for a support call it’s the only venue I’ve found available.

I HATE installation packages/processes that load CRAP on MY computer without being informed or giving approval – AKA GetPlus. I found it very deceitful, especially when the approval request for Google Toolbar is prominently displayed prior to installation.

BTW – the GetPlus on Windows 7 64bit via Chrome failed; prompted me at least two times for administrator password. The Adobe X Reader install went to 100% and then hangs.

You’re supposed to be a professional company – act like it. Guess I’ll have to start security checking Adobe installs in a virtual computer before install on my production computer.

• PAT Training Now — 10:37 PM on June 20, 2013

This has been annoying for far too long. About time something should be done. Please keep me updated.

Copyright © 2019 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)