Installed codecs in Adobe Media Encoder

The codecs found in Adobe Media Encoder depend on the application or bundle that is installed.

Adobe Media Encoder is the hub for encoding media from Adobe media applications. There is one point of confusion for our customers, however, and that is that there are varying forms of Adobe Media Encoder, depending on which application or suite you have installed.

The codecs that are found in Adobe Media Encoder depend on which version of Creative Suite or standalone program that is installed. So, while a codec might be installed in one version of Adobe Media Encoder, it might not be found in another. This has a lot to do with licensing fees that are paid to creators of certain codecs. So, how do you find out which codecs are installed in your version of Adobe Media Encoder?

Adobe Media Encoder CS5.5, and later enables the following import and export formats when installed by any Adobe CS5.5, and later application or suite.

Import Formats
Video: AVI, DV, FLV, F4V, Animated GIF (Windows Only), MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MXF, MXF OP1a (CS5.0.2 and later), QuickTime, WMV, P2/AVC Intra, RED RAW (R3D), Video for Windows (AVI, WAV; on Mac OS, requires QuickTime player), Windows Media (WMV, Windows only)

Still-image: Photoshop (PSD), Bitmap, Cineon/DPX (CIN, DPX), GIF, Icon File (ICO), JPEG, PICT, PNG, Targa, TIFF. Adobe Media Encoder CS5.5 can also import files of any still-image format as a sequence.

Audio: Advanced Audio Coding (AAC, M4A), AIFF, ASND (Soundbooth Format), QuickTime, MP3, AVI, WAV (on Mac OS, requires QuickTime Player), WMA (Windows only), WAV

Export Formats
Video: H.264, FLV, F4V

Audio: MP3

If you have Master Collection, Production Premium, Premiere Pro, or After Effects installed, these additional import and export formats are enabled.

Import Formats
Video: DV100, DV50, MPEG4 part 2, XDCAM HD, JPEG 2000, MJPEG, MPEG2, Uncompressed AVI, VC1

Audio: AMR

Export Formats
Video/Image: MPEG-2, MPEG-2 DVD, MPEG-2 Blu-ray, MPEG-4, P2 (MXF), MXF OP1A (Adobe Media Encoder CS5.0.2), QuickTime movie (MOV; requires QuickTime), Windows Media (WMV; Windows only), Video for Windows (AVI; Windows only)

Still-image: Bitmap (BMP; Windows only), DPX, GIF (Windows only), JPEG, PNG, Targa (TGA), TIFF (TIF)

Audio: AIFF, MP3, Waveform (WAV), Advanced Audio Coding (AAC), AC3 Dolby audio (except After Effects standalone version)

For more information about supported import file formats, see this page in Adobe Media Encoder Help. For more information about supported export file formats, see this page in Adobe Media Encoder Help.

Now when you encode media using Adobe Media Encoder you’ll know exactly the codecs you should expect to see.Share on Facebook

48 Responses to Installed codecs in Adobe Media Encoder

1. Ryan says:

This is slightly misleading, WMV isn’t supported on the Mac

2. kmonahan says:

Good point, I’ll make an adjustment to the text.

3. Thomas says:

- Would you happen to know how the codecs that came with my media encoder can be reloaded? I’ve got the master collection CS 5.5.

4. kmonahan says:

In Master Collection, you would have all the codecs listed on this page in Media Encoder Help: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/mediaencoder/cs/using/WS725e431141e7ba651e63e3d1267818bc51-8000.html

5. Carl says:

I’m trying to figure out if Media Encoder can export the following codec on a mac:
    Mpeg2 Transport Stream, H.264, 10Mbps constant bitrate

6. James Pratt, III says:

I have CS5.5 Master Collection but I am unable to render my avi file into any video formats. Tried just about every combination. The accompanying sound is there, but the screen is black. What am I missing please?

7. Chad says:

So if i have Premiere 5.5 on my Mac laptop my media encoder cannot export to an uncompressed AVI file.

Can i load a codec on my Mac to have media encoder export an AVI file?

8. Mike says:

On Windows, using AME CS4 I can export to MPEG-1, but I don’t have that option on the Mac version-do I need a plug in (like for an AVI) or is that just a platform limitation?

9. Is there a way to export WMV with Media Encoder on a Mac? I have Flip4Mac WMV Studio Pro HD but it would like to use AME if possible?

10. Quicktime X is 64bit but which is why it is so fast but unfortunately limited to Apple devices
    more or less. Thanks for the CC link!

KJM

11. tony pascale says:

I thought extra codec depended on what u had installed?

12. 3D Effect says:

Hi,

I’m having a problem here, hope you guy’s could help.
    I need to export a flash video file with dolby surround sound. I received 6 wav tracks from the sound company. How could I combine these sounds into one file (flv file)?

Thanks!

13. Emily says:

Can anyone shed some light for me on why on the reinstall of lowly premier 7, it will now not accept any i-tunes audio files or any files that were taking on phone video?

14. Jay Lorac says:

I find it disheartening that my $800 software does not support the webM format. Thanks HTML5 & Firefox – I have to purchase yet another program, because my really expensive Premiere purchase doesn’t support it. Nice.

• kmonahan says:

Hi Jay,
      We do tell you the codecs we support in the online Help documentation. Although we support most every codec, it is nearly impossible to support every single one. If you would like to have the WebM codec included in the supported formats for import, make a feature request. Thanks.

• Al Biss says:

Wow! How rude is that?

Hi Jay (not sire), we @ Adobe don’t really have time to care with you problem, see.

Can’t you understand what you read when you purchased???
        It is clearly stated that the simple codec you are looking for in that pricy piece of software is not our priority, see.

Give life a chance and maybe one day it will be there, see.

Understand that we @ Adobe can’t by the codecs every little noname company can afford to use in their library, see.

If you so want that one missing codec you are so much crazy alike a chicken without a head, just make a request PAL. Thanks(yours as long as you pay)

Sorry but to me it sounded like that. Cold Customer Service from adobe.
        Mr. Lorac, all I can say is that: bigger and richer the company, usually thinner the humanity within.

• Al Biss says:

Sorry to reply to myself but I forgot to add the good stuff.

I should have added what should have been the right and correct answer so, here it is:

Dear Mr. Lorac, thank you very much for letting us know that codec is missing from our library. I will forward the information to the people dealing with this crucial lacking. I will get back to you as soon as development is made or within 2 weeks.

Yours, Kmonahan.

P.S. (if and only if @dobe can’t go on with this issue, I will develop a company based on codecs, etc…, just to make sure it won’t happen again. Codecs should be available to any software that cost. Frustration is not the future in my book. Please give me at least two(2) weeks)

It is of course a bit too much but, who would complain.

• kmonahan says:

Hi Mr. Lorac,
            Sorry, I’m usually a bit less formal in replying on my blog. It sounds like you’re still angry about the fact that Premiere Pro CS6 doesn’t include every codec. Again, I apologize, but there are many reasons for this: most are due to licensing constraints. In fact, if you edit on any other NLE, be it Avid, Vegas, or FCPX, you’ll find that none of these tools support all codecs. Again, if you want to request a native workflow for the WebM codec in Premiere Pro, you must make a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish. It is the only way the engineering team will see your request.

In the mean time, here are some ideas for you:

Import: We don’t support WebM for import, however, a number of free tools like VLC will allow you to transcode to a more desirable mastering codec. VLC: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
            Export: It is possible to export the WebM format. This post provides some links for you to check out: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3968289

Hope that helps.

15. C Bannis says:

It seems to me like it is not in Adobe’s strategic interest to support WebM. They just spent a lot of money on a proprietary format (flav)?

16. Smart says:

hi i need your help when I try to render my animated text it is not showing the option adobe media encoder help me and also i am unable to import videos of any extention even .mov format also it show the error “dynamic link not available “

17. Ricardo says:

I’m testing CS6 Media encoder (and the entire suite, actually) on a trial install. I can only export to mp4. Is this a function of the Trial version, or am I missing plugins, extensions, what have you?

18. John_K says:

How do I export a project so the video and the audio are on the same clip and not separate files.

19. Ricardo says:

I’ve installed the updates, but still cannot find any way to export to WMV. Am I missing something? Please don’t ask why WMV… I’m somewhat clueless about that. That’s just what the company wants.

20. AAllen says:

I have AME CS6 with Master Collection installed, but I am missing .wmv and .avi codecs… how can I get these?

21. ali alissa says:

Some presets doesn’t work in my program… Is there a way to download presets for Media Encoder CS6? a new presets or the same that Media Encoder has?

So my question is: I want a link to choose and download presets fro Media Encoder.

22. Ondrej Simecek says:

I have unworkable problems importing original MPEG2 (720i) files produced by Sony HDR-XR350 camcorder – the files cannot be decodedd. This is DESPITE the advertised support of MPEG1/2 in AME CS6. Would like to know if there is anything Adobe has to say about that?

PS: the files play normally in VLC and WMP.

23. Hi all,
    I’m aware that this isn’t a support place. I’m just trying to fugure out a CS6 issue. I’ve already posted on Adobe Forums (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4877858#4877858). Since the release of CS6 importing MXF files (PAL DV25 from SonyXDCAM disks) takes waaay too long. For example 10GB file takes about 20+mins to import (PPRo, AME or even AE). I’m using 6.03 (6.03.1 AME) of course. Any ideas?

24. Hi!
    I just set up my Creative Cloud account on a Mac. I need to deliver MXF files (OP1a), but the only MXF format I can choose in the dropdown menu is P2 Movie. How can I access the OP1a flavor?

Thanks,
    Bjarki

25. carlos says:

galera! to com um serio problema! estou com uma CDCAM! Tenho que exportar meus videos em MXF AP1a
    ja procurei em tudo lugar e naõ encontro! ja tentei baixar mas não consigo! me ajudem!

26. Scott Jones says:

Hi,

i have adobe premiere 5.5 and use to have the option of exporting using mpeg 2 dvd and now the option has disappeared.. How to i reload this option to my software ?

27. manuel says:

When I put a .mts file it doesn´t have audio and I have a Adobe Creative suite 6 and my formats doesn´t include qucktime. How can I hace audio and the quicktime in my format list?
    Thanks