Camera Raw 5.6 and Lightroom 2.6 Available on Adobe Labs

Camera Raw 5.6 and Lightroom 2.6 are now available on Adobe Labs.(Camera Raw 5.6, Lightroom 2.6) The release includes new camera support for the following models:

• Canon EOS 7D
  • Canon PowerShot G11
  • Canon PowerShot S90
  • Leaf Aptus II 5
  • Mamiya DM22, DM28, DM33, DM56, M18, M22, M31
  • Nikon D3s
  • Olympus E-P2
  • Pentax K-x
  • Panasonic FZ38
  • Sigma DP1s
  • Sony A500
  • Sony A550
  • Sony A850

Release Notes:

• An issue limited to Mac customers using PowerPC hardware has been corrected. The issue, introduced in the demosaic change to address sensors with unequal green response, has the potential to create artifacts in highlight areas when processing raw files from Sony, Olympus, Panasonic and various medium format digital camera backs.
  • The Lightroom 3 beta has not been updated with this new camera support. If you’re working with one of these newer cameras and the Lightroom 3 beta, please use the DNG Converter 5.6 Release Candidate to convert proprietary formats to DNG files that can be used in the Lightroom 3 beta.
  • This release includes an improved camera profile for the Leica M9.
  • Please provide feedback on the Camera Raw plug-in on the User to User forums
  • Please provide feedback on the Lightroom release candidate here.

24 Responses to Camera Raw 5.6 and Lightroom 2.6 Available on Adobe Labs

1. Definitely less noise with 5.6. And the magenta colour cast seems to be fixed as well. haven’t had time to test for high ISO yet (I am using a 7D), but will do over the weekend.

2. peter says:

only camera support changes in LR 2.6 ?

3. barry says:

Still horrendous for ISC3200 shots – chromatic distortion, grainy, overcast with numerous green and magenta pixels throughout (worst in dark areas).Canon DPP resolves SIGNIFICANTLY better!!!Please, PLEASE correct this![Barry, please try using the Chromatic Aberration tools in the detail panel. You can create presets that provide the desired level of correction or you can save a default specific to a certain ISO that will be applied to all files. DPP applies thse corrections by default while Lightroom and Camera Raw require that you set your desired level of correction. -TH]

4. barry says:

ISC3200–>ISO 3200

5. barry says:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I’ve tried using the Chromatic Abberation corrections, and I cannot get anywhere close to what DPP does by default.Do you have recommended settings for CA corrections?

6. hubert says:

barry first you should learn to write about your problems in a correct way.use the correct terms.. that is a good start.im from germany and my english is bad.but you mix up CA and chroma noise and nobody knows what your talking about.i agree that LR CHROMATIC ABBERATION correction sux.but LR COLOR NOISE reduction works fine for all my canon cameras.. ISO 3200 or ISO6400…. and of course below that.

7. barry says:

(BTW – I’m talking about Canon 7D Raw here.)

8. K Rockwel says:

I just got off an illustrated conference call with DxO in Paris.The new version 6 of Optics Pro is out for WIndows, but the Mac version won’t be out until next year.DxO Optics Pro is software that perfectly and automatically (by reading the EXIF) corrects lens distortion, improves lens sharpness as needed, and does the best job I’ve ever seen of automatically optimizing highlights and shadows.Not only does it do a perfect job of correcting the complex distortion of ultra-wide zooms, it creates perfect straightening of fisheye images, regardless of focused distance, and that was even in version 4 that I’ve been using.Unlike other shadow and highlight programs (or Photoshop or Lightroom themselves), DxO magically knows how to apply just the right amount of whatever to get my photos to sing, automatically. I last used old version 4 for my photos on Rt 66 back in 2007, and it worked wonders. I pointed DxO to the photos I wanted, it crunched the numbers, and out popped perfected images.New in version 6 is the ability to remove noise and even push-process images two stops past the highest ISO on your camera. That’s right: shoot your D3 at ISO 12,800 in raw, and processed through DxO they showed me it looking better than when processed in ACR or Capture NX.[Was any comparison provided against the new raw processing technology in Lightroom 3 beta? -TH]Even crazier, set your camera, like a Canon G10, to underexpose by using negative exposure compensation, and DxO can push the image a stop or two to get you ISO two to four times the maximum that you thought you had on your camera.Optics Pro works with both raw and JPG images, but to get the extraordinary noise reduction performance they showed me, it has to do that from raw files.Of course you can control it manually, but for a guy like me that would rather be shooting than playing on a computer, the fact that DxO can be trusted to do its own thing, and do it extremely well, is a Godsend.When you buy it. you buy a license to run it on two computers, just like Photoshop.Dxo Optics pro is compatible with Lightroom 2. It can browse Lightroom catalogs, export back to to lightroom catalogs, and you can call up DxO as an external editor from inside Lightroom by right-clicking and selecting “send to DxO.”Another advantage of DxO over most other software is that it doesn’t need to create a duplicate-copy library of all your photos, as Aperture, iPhoto and Lightroom do by default. It it these stupid libraries which cause the compatibility problems where you need to get things in and out of “libraries.” With DxO, it works with images as they are stored in my regular file system.[Let's be clear, Lightroom does not create a duplicate copy of your images unless you ask it to. By default, Lightroom will copy images off of a compact flash card, but that's under the assumption that you don't want to manage your images on a CF or SD card. -TH]Other software makes duplicates of everything you “import” into them, and with the amount I shoot, I can’t afford that. With DxO, you show it what photos you want processed, and it goes to work.[Again, the Lightroom import process can leave files exactly where they were, *move* them to a new location or copy them to a new location. It's the photographers choice. The copy function is designed to pull files off of a camera card without removing them from your SD or CF card. -TH]DxO 6 has the ability to split-screen “virtual copies” of different sets of manual corrections. These virtual copies only exist in the software; they don’t clog up more hard drive space.[Sounds very similar to Lightroom's virtual copies, before/after views and survey views. -TH]DxO Optics Pro 6 makes it easy to store and recall presets of settings you might like. There is a Presets box near the top right in the Customize tab, and in the other tabs, simply right-click a thumbnail image to use presets.If you bought Optics Pro v5 since June 2009 you get a free upgrade to v6.If your copy of v5 is older, you get a 40% discount on the upgrade through 31 December 2009.If you’re new to DxO Optics Pro, there is a 33% discount through 31 December 2009.So? The Mac version won’t be out until 2010. For Mac, as of course I use, the key is to buy or upgrade to version 5 today, and then the upgrade to v6 ought to be free when v6 becomes available for Mac.[Ken, I don't mind allowing you to post a review of another product on my blog but please try to check for accuracy and skip the sales pitch referencing discounts next time. It feels cheap. -TH]

9. James Fitzell says:

Ken also neglects to mention the horrendous performance of DXO 5 that lead many of it’s long term customers to jump ship (myself included).I have no idea if DxO 6 resolves the problems, but Lightroom is a far better tool in my opinion so I have no plans to go back.

10. Lars says:

DxO is mabye slower but what counts for professionell photographers is QUALITY.i can understand that amateurs use lightroom.

11. Mary says:

I have downloaded Camera Raw 5.6 to use with a Canon 7D. When I try to set up, it only offers 64 bit and if accept the option it tells me I CAN’T install while I’m running Bridge – but I’m not. I’ve tried again after a reboot – no use. Any Ideas??

12. Mark says:

well… ken rockwell is a looser anyway.he is begging on his website for money on any page.i bet he has got some money to promote DxO.he has no clue and in 99% of his articles are stupid faults and missinformation.faults that no amateur would make.

13. Lasse says:

Yes i can only agree!!Ken Rockwell is a Clown.I laughing so hard when i read his reviews.They are so full of bullshit i often think he must be some caricature of an Photographer.You can see how incompetent he i, just looking at the errors he made in this short text above.

14. Bo says:

Leica M8 and M9 can be added to the above list.There is now support for Leica M8 and m9 also, or at least upgraded, LightRoom now include the guestimated F.stop info in the meta exposure information.Much appriciated.

15. Berd says:

ken rockwell is a stupid.i think he must be a high school drop out.look what he wrote about the Leica M9 who was sold for 9000$ on ebay.he did not realize that the bidder has only 0 feedback and gave a negative feedback immediately after the auction.and still he is writing nonsense in his blog..

16. Bill in WA says:

Why is it that some people take the opportunity to take a site that deals with interesting subjects and helpful information and reduces its value with childish retorts… in this case many childish retorts.LR, Camera Raw, and for that matter Canon DPP all have their strong points and their weak ones… What it boils down to, after all is said and done, is which program(s) are the most useful, and comfortable for the user. The final output of any program is, at best, subjective and what “works” for one may not work for another.Maybe we can get back to talking about photography… want to?

17. Op says:

adobe is telling always and unasked how superior lightroom is.and in fact it´s image quality sucks….

18. Anthony Peluso says:

Hi, I would like to be able to export to photoshelter from Lightroom. You have a new spot on the Beta, publish services. Can you have it set that we can export to other sites like Photo Shelter?Thank you for your time.

19. Emmanuel says:

Although this RC says it supports the K-x the Adobe Standard profiles for that camera is missing.

20. Rachmat says:

Everthing is ok.

21. Lee says:

I sent note last night asking for a hint and tonight finally figured out the solution. In the event others inquire, open Photoshop and then Bridge. Then Exit Bridge at the bottom of the File drop down box. Then Close Photoshop. Then start the setup.exe file that came with the download from Adobe.Lee

22. Pingback: Adobe Camera RAW Update 5.6 and Lightroom Update 2.6 » PhotographyUncapped

23. The solutions to my questions have been very easy to take in thanks to this blog. It is certainly worth reading to assist relieve the stress I have been experiencing. I recommend this for an award.

24. TYVM! Keep up the good work.