Potential JPEG Bug in Lightroom 3.4 and Camera Raw 6.4

The Lightroom and Camera Raw team would like to inform you of a potentially severe bug that was introduced in the Lightroom 3.4 and Camera Raw 6.4 update.  Please note that this bug only impacts customers who are saving metadata to JPEG files with a rare characteristic.(JPEG files must have an unusually large block of private camera data included in the file to be susceptible to the bug*)   This scenario is so rare that we do not believe that it is necessary for customers who have already upgraded to revert to the previous version of Lightroom or Camera Raw.  However, the bug could cause image corruption which falls within our highest severity category of bugs.  The team believes it’s very important to notify you of the risk and provide an estimate of when we will be able to deliver a correction in the form of Lightroom 3.4.1 and Camera Raw 6.4.1.  We intend to have these updates available by Friday, May 27th.

If you do work with a significant number of JPEG files in Lightroom or Camera Raw and routinely update metadata(keywords, captions, etc) it would be prudent to wait for the updated release of Lightroom and Camera Raw.

The team would also like to thank Doug Cooper who reported this issue on the Lightroom Feedback Portal.  Rare bugs like this make it quite difficult to pinpoint the source of the problem or even create a reproducible scenario but thanks to Doug’s persistence we were able to track down this bug quickly.

*To date we’ve only found one camera that generates these large blocks of private data, the HP PhotoSmart R607.

32 Responses to Potential JPEG Bug in Lightroom 3.4 and Camera Raw 6.4

1. Pingback: Utiliser Lightroom » Blog Archive » Lightroom 3.4.1 et ACR 6.4.1 le 27 mai pour corriger un bug très rare

2. Pingback: Adobe warns of severe but rare Lightroom bug

3. Pingback: Adobe warns of severe but rare Lightroom bug | NewElectronicDevices

4. Pingback: John Nack on Adobe : Potential JPEG bug in Lightroom 3.4 and Camera Raw 6.4

5. Pingback: OJO: alerta de Adobe sobre Camera Raw 6.4 y Lightroom 3.4 | fotochismes.com

6. Pingback: Adobe Lightroom 3.4 and Camera Raw 6.4 has a Data-Corrupting Bug in JPEG : PhotoTimes

7. Roy Tait says:

It is always a difficult call but hats off to the Lightroom and Camera Raw team for publicising this issue. It is reassuring to know that a data corruption issue like this is being dealt with swiftly, promptly and publicly. Respect!

cheers
    Roy

8. bayard eric says:

Hi,
    I recently had a problem with my database, after tagging some jpegs and writting them down on the file, lightroom 3.4 crashed. And since then won’t open the catalog anymore.
    could this be due to this bug.
    You are also saying ” However, the bug could cause image corruption”
    do you mean the image is lost, or just the metadata? I do not remember which image I was working on, so if I lost only the metadata I would be ok with that, but otherwise I would have to scan all of my imagse to check the destroyed imagse and replace them
    by a backup.
    Anyway thank’s for your fast reaction
    Regards

9. bayard eric says:

ok found the bug. All my questions ansered
    Tanks

10. Bill Webb says:

Kudos for the quick investigation and work

11. Barrett Creech says:

I use Canon EOS 1D Mk III DSLR and am having numerous corrupted raw files occur. I import with the “convert raw to dng” option. Am I safe to import my backup raw file (CR2 in the case of Canon) into LR 3.4 to replace the corrupted dng image, or do I need to wait until the corrected update 3.4.1 is issued on May 27, 2011? Thank you.

12. Liz says:

I am not sure if this is what I am experiencing, but I recently allowed some sort of update from Adobe. Now Lightroom is not downloading my photos from my camera. I take hundreds of JPEGs and am at a loss as to what to do. I shoot with Nikon D700 and use SanDisk CF (and 1 Kingston CF).
    The first batch of photos went into the folders ok. Then it got progressively slower and now it will not work at all.

13. Guillaume says:

Just had this bug …. hopefully, still had the originals on my CF card !
    Just added some geoloc data with Picasa … might be one of those rare cases !

14. Tim Taulbee says:

Thanks for this information. I wish you would have made this easier to find from your help screens. I have been working all weekend (2 days) trying to determine why I was getting this error. I have a new Sony camera and Lightroom 3.2 and Camera Raw 6.2 will not read the raw files. The only way to read them is to update to cameras raw 6.4. I recieved the error message but did not consider that Adobe would shutdown an update server for multiple days… I don’t think this is common. I am very glad that you did as image problems are very severe, but I wish you would have made this information easier to find on your website.

15. Jack says:

Thank you for your post. I have encountered one other problem which seems to have started after downloading LR 3.4, but could be unrelated. After flagging photos for rejection (x) and then attempting to delete the rejected ones, the dialog box to either delete from disc or remove from the catalog no longer appears. This means I cannot mass delete my rejects. Maybe it is something else that has changed, but I cannot see to get it to work.

16. Thanks for your hard work and persistence Doug and LR team!

17. Chris Bryant says:

This is how problems should be handled. Well done. Respect.

18. Pingback: John Nack on Adobe : Camera Raw 6.4.1, Lightroom 3.4.1 updates released

19. Pingback: Lightroom 3.4.1 and Camera Raw 6.4.1 now available « Lightroom Journal

20. Pingback: Lightroom 3.4.1 y Camera Raw 6.4.1 para Mac OS X y para Windows | maclatino.com

21. Pingback: Lightroom 3.4.1 Update

22. Pingback: Adobe Lightroom 3.4.1 and Camera Raw 6.4.1 Updates Available

23. Pingback: RESOURCE MAGAZINE » Adobe fixes bug and comes with new updates!

24. Pingback: Lightroom 3.4.1 and Camera Raw 6.4.1 are now available.

25. Pingback: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.4.1 and Camera Raw 6.4.1 Now Available -Photography News | Simplyness Photography Blog

26. Aaron Reel says:

I am having an issue with Lightroom 3.4 as well. I am not certain that the errors that I am having are similar to the other known “bug” issues, but are aggravating to say the least. The problem that I am having now is that my raw images show up fine on the scroll at the bottom and in the library. But, when I go to Develop to edit a raw image, it appears corrupt…sort of like the image is only half there if that makes any sense. Does this have anything to do with the known bug issue of 3.4? If not, can some one assist me on what my problem may be? I have been searching the internet for answers but no luck yet.

Thank you.

Aaron Reel

27. PS the issue does not seem to be camera dependent. I encounter it with Sony alpha 200. Nikon D700 (2 different cams), Canon EOS 5D Mark II.
    My PC runs under Windows XP SP II.

28. G.F. De Clerck says:

Having bought a new computer I had to install Lightroom again using the Lightroom2
    CD.
    I could update to the 2.7 version but was stopped by your messages concerning 3.4 and
    6.4.
    You gave the date of may 27th to reswtart working with theswe versions, but asking uipdates for my 2.7 version, i get the answer, tha tthere are no updates available and that my software is up to date
    Please inform me about todays situation and/or inform me how to further update my
    2.7 version.
    On my old computer I had the 3.1 version.
    Guido de Clerck

29. Mihai Balan says:

Hi,
    I think I found a bug re: Lightroom 3.4.1 On Windows x64 and video files. How/where could I log a bug?

Thanks a lot,
    Mihai

30. Fred Jones says:

This sort of highlights the fact that Lightroom does not support sidecar files for JPEGS.

Why not?

Supporting writing to JPEG sidecar files instead of insisting on writing into the JPEGS, would let our JPEGs stay pure and protected originals, as your RAW files do.

31. Pingback: Toutes les batteries - Hewlett Packard Photosmart R607

32. Beau Loftman says:

I have observed that in cameras, specialized receptors help to concentrate automatically. The actual sensors of some video cameras change in contrast, while others use a beam associated with infra-red (IR) light, specially in low lighting. Higher standards cameras occasionally use a combination of both techniques and will often have Face Priority AF where the digicam can ‘See’ the face and focus only upon that. Many thanks for sharing your ideas on this blog.