We’re pleased to announce that Lightroom 4 is now available via the Mac App Store in North America. The Mac App Store is a convenient way to research and purchase software for your Mac computer. It’s based on an Electronic Software Delivery (ESD) method so there’s no box and no shiny disc. Instead, you download and install Lightroom directly from the Mac App Store, similar to how ESD works on Adobe.com and Amazon.com in North America. The Mac App Store offering is the same product offered on Adobe.com in terms of features and functionality but has been modified to comply with Mac App Store requirements. We’re excited to offer this distribution option to our Mac customers; however, there are a few important pieces of information you should be aware of:
- This is a single platform license for Mac only. (The boxed version and the ESD offering on Adobe.com can be installed on Mac or Windows)
- Updates will take place through the Mac App Store, not via Adobe.com for this version of Lightroom. When we update Lightroom for new camera support(about 4 times per year), the Mac App Store version may be released at a different time than the update on Adobe.com
- There is no upgrade pricing available on the Mac App Store for Lightroom customers who own Lightroom 1, 2 or 3.
- Because there is no upgrade pricing or upgrade validation currently available on the Mac App Store, there is no guarantee that upgrade pricing will be available to Mac App Store Lightroom 4 customers when Lightroom 5 and future versions of Lightroom are released.
- Lightroom 4 is available on the Mac App Store in North America only
Thanks and we look forward to your feedback!