Camera Raw 8.1 and DNG Converter 8.1 Now Available

Camera Raw 8.1 is now available as a final release through the update mechanism in Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC.  This release provides support for HiDPI capable displays, new camera and lens support and address bugs that were introduced in previous versions of Camera Raw.  Customers of previous versions of Photoshop can utilize DNG Converter 8.1 to receive raw file support for newly added cameras.

Photoshop CS6 customers traditionally have received camera updates through Camera Raw 7.x releases.  This is the first time that we are providing camera support through a version of the camera raw plug-in that is a whole version number greater than the version of Camera Raw that shipped with a specific version of Photoshop. (Photoshop CS6 shipped with ACR7 and now we’re providing support to CS6 with ACR8.)  As mentioned here, this change allows us to be consistent with our past policy of providing raw support for currently shipping products.  However, when ACR8 is hosted by Photoshop CS6, it will not offer any of the new features described in Photoshop CC marketing materials for ACR8.

Bugs Corrected in Camera Raw 8.1

• Occasionally the Fill Light adjustment introduced artifacts. This only occurred when processing an image using the PV2010 process version.
  • When using the Red Eye removal tool, setting red eye darken to 100% would lighten the adjustment instead of darkening it.
  • Reduced the default amount of sharpening applied to images taken with the Fuji X100s camera.

New Camera Support in Camera Raw 8.1

• Hasselblad H5D-60
  • Olympus PEN E-P5
  • Olympus PEN E-PL6
  • Phase One IQ260*
  • Ricoh GR
  • Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G6
  • Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LF1
  • Sony DSC-RX1R (RX1R)**
  • Sony DSC-RX100M2 (RX100 II)*  **

* denotes preliminary support
**Support for these models was not listed in the original blog post

New Lens Profile Support in Camera Raw 8.1

Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN A013   Olympus, Sony
Zeiss Apo Sonna T* 2/135 ZE          Canon
Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 ZF.2          Nikon
Zeiss Touit 1.8/32          Sony
Zeiss Touit 2.8/12          Sony

Release Notes

Please note that the workflow options in ACR8.1 have been updated for compatibility with Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC.

Download Links

Camera Raw 8.1 – Please use the update mechanism in Photoshop CS6

DNG Converter 8.1 – Mac | PC

Thank you!

53 Responses to Camera Raw 8.1 and DNG Converter 8.1 Now Available

1. Kin Corning says:

Will the newly supported cameras and lenses also be retrofitted into a final release of LR4/ACR 7?
    (The “Why doesn’t my version of Lightroom support my camera?” question on the FAQ page is currently going to a dead link: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/lightroom-faq-frequently-asked-questions.html)

2. Joe says:

I’m getting update errors both through Photoshop > Help > Updates and through Adobe Application Manager.
    Both give a similar error message with same error code:
    Photoshop Camera Raw 8.1(CS6) Installation failed. Error Code: U44M1P7

3. Fred says:

I just updated Camera RAW in Photoshop CS6 extended to version 8.1.0.43 I looked up the new features but can’t get the cloning/healing brush to paint over an area. It just wants to make a circle . Is there a button I have to hit or a setting I’m missing to paint over an area ?

4. Professional Pirate says:

@adobeUser,

So what you are saying is that if you get an error installing this wonderful update, then resort to the manual installation method. Right?

5. Esteban says:

My problem is: when I try to open de Adobe Application Manager using the Photoshop menus to update de Camera Raw, the application doesn’t even start. Any idea about!? Thank you.

6. AJ says:

How about a direct link to the Mac version? While I appreciate the link to the blog post about how to “fix” problems, all you really need to say is “If you are having trouble reinstall the entire multi-gigabyte program because I’m sure you don’t have anything better to do for the next couple of hours and certainly haven’t spent any time customizing your workspace …”

I particularly love that it says not to even post on a forum or submit a request for help until having tried all the options on the page. So – we spend thousands of dollars on Adobe software, but when it breaks, don’t ask us – fiddle with it yourself for several hours first. Here’s an idea – write good code in the first place. Since even good code fails sometimes, how about you FIX THE PROBLEM! There are hundreds of posts around the internet complaining about the Adobe non-Updater. I can honestly say that my experience with this particular piece of trash has kept me from going with the Creative Cloud. If you can’t even deliver simple, incremental updates, I certainly don’t want to be reliant on you to deliver the entire suite reliably. Your go to solution of “reinstall the software” is going to take a lot longer if I have to re-download the software every time too.

In the mean time, how about a page with the actual updates where users can just download and apply. It’s a system that actually works.

7. KSW says:

What happened to the Image Sizing screen’s ability to select sizes + or – ?
    I use that feature to to crop larger and it’s invaluable.

IF this is now indeed gone how do I go backwards to the previous version of RAW.

IF this had to do with the new improved Subscription/Cloud issue you’ve created then
    say so and I’ll have to switch from Adobe sooner than I thought.

• Hi KSW,

It’s not clear what issue you’re seeing. Are you referring to the [+][-] buttons in the lower left of the image preview in the Camera Raw dialog? Or are you referring to the Edit>Image Size… dialog in Photoshop proper?

8. KSW says:

Neither actually.

I’m reference the Blue Highlighted text at the bottom with dimensions and DPI that when you click
    gets you a dialog box. Used to be that you could select resolutions above and below the stock size of
    the camera/sensor and resolution. Now you can’t. The new choice is a very rigid unflexible change to
    a problem that didn’t exist. Will the old dialog and options return? IF not, what was the problem with the
    choices and flexibility in the past other than possibly making me buy a subscription I never will for options
    I’ve always had.

• Ahh. Now I know what you’re talking about.

The changes were made to allow customers more flexible options for specifying custom dimensions than 6 fixed options allowed for resizing.

• Paul Brown says:

I agree with KSW. Please give us the option to use what we had. I do not like or appreciate the new version. Can we uninstall or upload an old version, please?

Change is good. All change is not always good. This is the latter. I don’t want to use a calculator to do the math. I’d like the old version back.

Please and thanks.

PWB

9. KSWDPI says:

Jeffrey,

So, now that we have fewer options I assume you’ll be adding back the numerical fixed options that where already optimized in Raw right? At least a “constrain by” choice to eliminate the need for a calculator. Seems more of an after thought for an easy out now.

Jeff, if you work for Adobe you’ve lost me as a customer with the subscription stuff and I go back to Beta testing the original photoshop. Your CEO’s are just another employee and watching them use subscriptions now for a lack of management skills to maintain dividend and corporate bonuses as Wall Street analysts demand means Wharton School grads have a bright future. We don’t have a revenue issue we’re increasing subscriptions is a tired excuse by failed management seeking to maintain a lifestyle they couldn’t otherwise afford.

10. Tyler says:

Can I get a direct link to the update mac version?

11. KSW says:

Jeffrey,

It would be better if there was at least a constrain proportions option. That would at least allow for an easier resizing if you’re going after easier for the less skilled. Otherwise a calculator is need. The new window appears more of an easy out than a thoughtful redo.

Thanks for the help.

12. Dmitri says:

Can I install this on CS6 or do I need to have the latest cloud CC? Would suck if I need to upgrade so that I can use the new Lumix camera.

13. Simon James says:

So this is for CS6 only?
    Does that mean CR for Creative Cloud is 8.0?

14. Mattias Nilsson says:

Hi. I, too, have an issue with the new, diminished, version of the crop in the 8.1 version of ACR. I always crop my photo’s using the metric system, so I really need to downgrade to the previous version of ACR. How can this be done? A swift reply would be greatly appreciated, as I’m a working photographer. I don’t recall seing a notice about this specific change in the liner notes to the 8.1 upgrade, and had this been made known to me, I (and by the looks of it, many others) would never have upgraded to the current version.

Kind regards
    Matt

15. eric says:

Im trying to installe the camera raw 8.1 update on a pc laptop with windows 8….when I installed the one available that I found I still have the bug of not being able to open raw files from my nikon d600 or my wife’s nikon 1 ….is there a patch or an update fitted for windows 8 ?

16. May says:

When trying to open files from lightroom in photoshop I get an error message that I need to update the camera raw plug-in to 8.1. First of all it’s almost impossible to find the plug-in and second of all it is very unclear where or how to automatically update the plug-in from within photoshop. I’ve been at this now for well over an hour. Can you please provide a simple link and step by step instructions. I have just update to photoshop cc and lightroom 5. Thanks.

17. Ellis Underkoffler says:

I just purchased a new nikon600 and lightroom 5, I am also using CS4, I cannot download directly from the sd card. What is the problem???

18. D.Robbers says:

KSW and Paul Brown are right. The former Image Size dialog used to be very effective and clear. As a standard setting, the proportions should be constrained so that we don’t have to use a calculator.
    It would be nice to have the option to save own presets.

19. Kristeen says:

Should there be a recovery slide included in this update? I know there was one in my previous version, however, I never had that one either. When I asked customer support, they told me I needed to switch my settings to 2012. I looked and looked and can’t find them. Can you help me out?

20. I really enjoy the new Photoshop CC in general but the Camera Raw Filter is definitely one of the solutions I think many designers and photographers have been waiting for. I think it is probably one of the best new features of Adobe Photoshop CC. I’ve made a tutorial introducing how you can use the Camera Raw Filter on Smart Objects and combine it with the power of masking:
    Adobe Photohsop CC Camera Raw 8.1 Filter Tutorial

21. Lauren says:

I installed ACR 8.1. Using with Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC. Camera is Canon 5D Mark III. Images from 8GB CF card work perfectly; 32GB SD card does not. Images on hard drive look great through Win 8 File Explorer. Importing into LR or opening in PS CC has issues. See sample image at http://artographyonline.com/CRissues/

Anyone have any ideas?

22. Bill Allan says:

Lightroom 5, I am no longer given the option to update my older photographs to the latest camera raw process which used a appear in the bottom right-hand corner. How can I correct this

23. Roslyn Budd says:

What has happened with the custom options in the crop tool in ACR? There is no longer any option to select a size and resolution…only a crop ratio???? Is this a bug or a supposed ‘upgrade’??

24. Bernard Khoo says:

What happen to the Workflow Options in Camera raw that previously had the option for me to to select save as 16MP, 25MP etc ? Now the default is only 12.1MP. Please help.

25. Geraldo says:

Hey just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of
    the pictures aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

26. miguel says:

good afternoon:
    I have a student license. I do not know why I do not get camera raw update. Could someone explain how I can do the upgrade? Sorry to make such a simple question. I hope it is not necessary to make it through the cloud! thank you very much
    miguel

27. Cindy says:

I have the new Olympus EP-5. I cannot open my raw files in CS-6. I have checked updates in the Help menu and it says all are up to date. But I still cannot open any raw files from the EP-5.

28. I Denton says:

Your website says “Camera Raw 8.1 is now available as a final release through the update mechanism in Photoshop CS6″ – BUT IT IS NOT UPDATING. Adobe update/Air is telling me that I have all available updates, but I am only up to Camera Raw 7.4, not version 8. SURELY Adobe didn’t cut off the updates at 30 June. Adobe’s website and product support now going backwards at a very fast rate.

29. Neal Newfield says:

I downloaded Adobe DNG 8.1 to my MAC computer and updated Photoshop CS4 to the most recent update 11.1. While my Adobe DNG converter will convert the ARW files of my Sony NEX 6 to DNG files photoshop will not read them. When I click on the converted DNG file to open it I get the following message, ” Could not complete your request because photoshop does not recognize this type of file. I have gone into the preferences for Adobe DNG converter and set the preferences for CS4 or later still no change. Please help and be gentle and explicit in your instructions, I am not the most computer knowledgeable person. Thanks

30. Aidan O'Sullivan says:

Why can I not open RAW files from a Panasonic LF1 in CS5?

31. Jacques says:

Whilst updating CS6 plugins the update asks to shut down the Photoshop CS6.exe file. I close the application but the update does not progress any further. Can anybody please help or explain why thi sis happening?

Thanks

32. mevsme says:

How to install CR 8 offline???

33. Robert says:

I want to get the update for camera raw through the Help menu. Every time I try, it tells me that I must turn off CS-5 Bridge, however, that program is not on and I have no way of turning it off. I turn off Photoshop itself and that should turn off Bridge, but I keep getting the message and thus can’t get the camera raw update. Any suggestions?

34. dani says:

I have purchased a 5d Mark 3 and can’t view my RAW files in Bridge. I have downloaded DNG converters and the latest version of camera raw but I still can’t view my files. Can someone help?

35. Dave says:

I just updated ACR to 8.3 and confirmed the version via my CS6 help/plugin menu. I don not have the cloning/healing brush tool, just the original spot removal tool. What did I do wrong? Thanks

36. joanpics says:

My question is related – I have a G15 and am using Lightroom 5 and Elements 9. Can’t download RAW photos at all with Elements and only some come out right with Lightroom. Like everyone else, I’m looking for an easy to download patch. DNG converter_8_2 did not work.