Camera Raw 8.6 and DNG Converter 8.6 Now Available

Camera Raw 8.6 is now available as a final release for Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC. This release improves performance when batch processing images, both through the Save button in Camera Raw and when converting images to DNG in the DNG Converter.  DNG Converter 8.6 is provided for customers using versions of Photoshop older than Photoshop CS6.

As mentioned here, updates to Camera Raw 8 for Photoshop CS6 only include new camera support, lens profile support, and bug fixes.  The new features listed in the release notes are only available in Photoshop CC.

New Camera Support in Camera Raw 8.6

Sony Alpha Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM
Sony Alpha Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM
Sony Alpha Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM II
Sony Alpha Sony 135mm f/2.8 [T4.5] STF
Sony Alpha Sony 300mm f/2.8 G SSM II
Sony E Zeiss Touit 2.8/50M

Please note – the profile for the newly added Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens is not automatically located when applying lens profile corrections.  This is a bug and we will fix it in a future release.  The workaround is to:

–        Manually select the profile and choose “Save New Lens Profile Defaults” in the Setup menu on the Profile tab. From then on, the lens should automatically select when the profile is enabled.

Release Notes

Camera Raw 8.6 adds camera matching color profiles for the following camera models:

• Sony DSC-RX100 III
  • Sony A7S (ILCE-7S)
  • Sony Alpha SLT-A77 II (ILCA-77M2)

Camera Raw 8.6 introduces the following new features for Photoshop CC customers:

–        Improved performance when batch processing images via the Save button (in Camera Raw) and when converting images to DNG (in DNG Converter).  The performance improvements are available only on 64 bit systems.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed crash on launch in some cases on Hi DPI (Retina) systems.
  • Fixed crash when opening some Sigma SD9 raw files.
  • Fixed issue with JPEG images saved by Camera Raw not readable in some external applications.
  • Fixed automatic lens profile selection for Leica M (Typ 240) when using most recent firmware version.
  • Fixed issue with some Hasselblad H5D-50c and H5D-60 3FR raw images appearing slightly too dark. Unfortunately, this fix may affect the appearance of existing images captured with this combination of settings. It is recommended that you (1) purge the Camera Raw cache via the Camera Raw Preferences dialog, and (2) review previously captured images for unexpected brightness changes.
  • Fixed bug with converting Nikon D810 and Nikon D4S sRaw files to DNG.
  • Tweaked and updated the Adobe Standard color profile for the Nikon D810.  Please note that this only impacts customers that used Camera Raw 8.6 RC with the Nikon D810.

Please note – If you have trouble updating to the latest ACR update via the Creative Cloud application, please refer to the following plugin installation:

Download Links

DNG Converter 8.6

Mac – http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5824

Win – http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5825

Thanks!

86 Responses to Camera Raw 8.6 and DNG Converter 8.6 Now Available

1. Steve Dixon says:

Have tried to run LR this morning and when prompted for the update to 5.6 the system then hangs and I have to use Task Manager to cancel LR, now I can’t use LR at all.

2. Hayo Baan says:

Please note that the link http://helpx.stage.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html currently does not work and results in an access denied error:
    Access Denied
    You don’t have permission to access “http://helpx.stage.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html” on this server.
    Reference #18.7a991002.1406789847.2382c18

3. D.A.Wagner says:

I just downloaded 5.6 and I’m sitting here with a tethered Nikon D810 but LR shows No Camera Detected. Is the support only for the D810 camera raw? When is tethered support coming?

• Rikk Flohr says:

Lightroom 5.6 introduced support for the D810 Raw file format. Tethering for the D810 is not yet included in Lightroom. Thanks for your patience.

• D.A.Wagner says:

Thanks for the clarification, RIkk. That’s where I get sideswiped since I’m one of those guys that tethers most of the time. Until Adobe posted the patch for tethering last year (or was it early this year?), I was stuck doing a few shots at a time and then restarting LR. It was a bear.
        Is there an ETA on tethered support for the D810?

4. David says:

I already downloaded & installed LR 5.6 update when it came out 7/31. I just got the Nikon D810 today (8/6) & LR won’t open or read the NEF files. I checked the LR about & I do have 5.6 & CR 8.6 installed. I did try the new DNG stand alone converter with no luck. Any other ideas?

• Rikk Flohr says:

David, are you using any Nikon software to download the files prior to attempting to import them in Lightroom? Are these full-sized Raw or the newer small Raw format?

• Bernard says:

Rick – I have the same problem as covered in your exchange with David, and yes, I have imported the NEF flies taken by my D810 using Nikon Transfer 2. Can’t open the raw files in either LR or PS CC and all updates to ACR have been made. Should I reimport the files from my compact flash cards using Bride or LR? Bernard

• Rikk Flohr says:

Bernard, that is a good trouble shooting step. It should be fairly quick and easy to determine if the same file, imported direct from your card to Lightroom, is now viable, where it wasn’t when using Nikon Transfer 2 as a go-between.

Try it with just a file or two you know to be unreadable now and see if they work when imported direct.

5. Marek Glaser says:

I am experiencing what seems to be an export bug. I am trying to export square images at different sizes and in each case the vertical height is of the output image is 95% of what it should be. (too short)

• Marek Glaser says:

I’m trying to find a workaround to this, apparently the “Edit in Photoshop” tool is sending the wrong image size to Photoshop also. Not seeing this issue on some older square cropped images, just this particular one at the moment.

• Marek Glaser says:

I flattened the layered TIFF file and re-saved it, this allowed me to export the image at the correct size. It seems the layers in the file were triggering an image size export bug.

6. Andy says:

How soon before there is support for Sony RX100M3 raw files? Thanks

7. Christopher Draper says:

Will Camera Raw 8.6 be available for Elements 12?

• Rikk Flohr says:

Have you tried updating from the Editor, if not go to Expert Mode and click:
      Help >> Updates
      But check first under the Help menu that you are signed-in – your email address used for you Adobe ID should be visible. You should be able to update to the latest version of ACR for Elements.

• Domenico Richter says:

There is no Camera Raw 8.6 for Photoshop Elements 12.

It might be, that this will be insert in Photoshop Elements 13.

8. Amber says:

I just downloaded and installed Photoshop CC because my older version would read my d810 raw files. When I went to Help>updates it is telling me that I am already running Adobe App Manager and to close it in order to get updates through PS. I’m not running it anywhere else so I can’t download the ACR 8.6 through the program. So I clicked the link above: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html and this is also not working. It just loads and loads but doesn’t complete. Getting very frustrated. Thoughts?

9. GTF says:

FWIW – the ACR plugin updates are the only updates in the CC suite i ever have a problem with.
    Every other application updates seamlessly.
    Is the ACR team working for a different company?
    Appologies for being a bit terse but it’s kind of frustrating that every ACR update requires some kind of manual work around.

10. New update did not fix very slow refresh of images when is develop module. Jumps around when cropping or doing anything. Makes it almost unusable on deadline assignments.
    Macbook Retina 2.3 with 16 gigs of ram.
    Was much fast before last two updates……

What gives…

11. Tom says:

Wow, batch processing images really did improve!
    I’m curious exactly how the performance was improved. Does it make use of more cores? More RAM? This would be useful to know for reference in building/buying/upgrading computers in the future.

12. Gail says:

What happened to the ‘eye’ or preview on/off in the upper right corner of C-R 8.6? The seems to be no way to see before/after effects of changes made.

13. Neil says:

I have PS CC 2014 on a laptop and desktop. ACR on the laptop shows my canon lenses, ACR on the desktop cannot find any lens profiles. How do I fix this? I tried to find the file location so I could just copy them from the laptop but could not find them and the installer suggested above says it is not for my versions of windows, Win 7 Home Prem. Laptop has Win 8

Thanks

14. donald morton says:

Hi,
    I’m running CS6 Extended (13.0.6 x64) on Snow Leopard. My CR version is 8.3.0.141 and I’m trying to update it to 8.6 but cannot because update indicates there are no updates available. Is there a way around this? I’d like to know before manually downloading ACR 8.6 and trying an install; don’t want to mess up my current installation.

Thanks!
    Donald

15. donald morton says:

Thanks, Rikk. I’ll give that a try. So do I understand correctly that CR in CS6 will only go up to 8.5?

16. donald morton says:

Ouch! I installed ver. 8.5 according to Adobe’s instructions and now CR won’t open when I try a .NEF file. I get a message that says, “Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file.” Not good since installing 8.5 automatically overwrote ver. 8.4. Do you have any suggestions, Rikk?

17. Xbert says:

I installed ACR 8.6 (windows 7.0 Home Premium) PS 6 and LR 4.4 and have had no success in opening TIF or JPEG files in ACR.

18. carrot.jp@free.fr says:

Photoshop élément 11 n’ouvre pas les fichiers RAW PEF de PENTAX K3, alors qu’il ouvre ceux de K20d. mise à jour faite, même avec la nouvelle mise à jour Photoshop RAW 8.6, négatif aussi. Après contact auprès de PENTAX, qui m’ont affirmé que ceci devrait fonctionner, et que dans votre liste des appareils, le PENTA.KK3 y figure.
    espérant une réponse

19. Francis says:

When will the Sony a5100 (ILCE-5100) RAW be supported?

• Francis says:

Thanks, but that does not answer my question, as I have 8.6.0.254 installed and I know the Sony a5100 is not on the supported list, as the Sony a5100 is a new camera.

• Rikk Flohr says:

From the link I sent you – see the “Finally” section:

First, make sure you have the latest updates for Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop. (The process to update Lightroom is similar. Launch Lightroom and choose Help>Check for Updates…) It’s always a good idea to have the latest updates installed.

Second, if updating to the latest version doesn’t give you joy and let you open your camera raw files, verify your camera make and model is on the list of supported cameras.

Third, if your camera isn’t on the list of supported cameras check on Adobe Labs for a release candidates of the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in or Adobe Lightroom. A release candidate is a very close to done version of the plug-in that Adobe shares with the community prior to full release for additional testing.

Finally, if your camera came out within the past 90 days, be patient, as you may need to wait for the new camera support. Adobe goes through a rigorous process of adding support for and testing of each new camera raw format. Adobe generally releases updates of the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in and Lightroom to provide new camera support about once a quarter, or about every 90 days. Feel free to drop us request or vote for specific camera support on our Feedback Site.

20. James says:

Just installed Camera Raw 8.6 and DNG Converter 8.6. I am still getting rainbows on my raw d810 files. How do I fix this?

• Rikk Flohr says:

Rainbows or color patterns on a Raw file is normally an indicator of a data transfer problem between camera, card, reader, or cable. The Jpeg preview of the file normally looks fine but when the Raw file is interpreted, data corruptions appear. I would recommend checking out your cable/card reader and camera cards in that order.

21. Ana Isabel says:

So I got the new D810, all excited about the photos and now I cannot retouch them. I have tried to download the Camera Raw 8.6 and DNG converter, but it does not work with my Windows Vista. When is this going to be available for use? I need it asap… clients waiting!

22. I am using Adobe Photoshop CS6 and installed DNG converter version 8.6 but still I am not able to open my Nikon D610 raw files in Adobe Photoshop. Please help if you have any idea about this issue.

23. francesca says:

I downloaded LR 5.6 and all images taken on my Olympus OM-D EM1 won’t open, have exclamation mark. They will not relink.
    Images from Nikon D90 and Lumix G% all fine.
    Reverted to LR5.5 and Olympus files all fine.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?

24. Visakh C Parayil says:

I have Photoshop CC 2014 and Bridge 6.0 Installed. Downloaded camera raw 8.6 from adobe. I have Nikon d5300
    Installed Everything. Restarted. But Camera Raw is not working in either Bridge or Photoshop
    BUT DNG converter is WORKING !!!

25. Terry Carsten says:

I have been a Elements user for a long time and various upgrades have gotten me to version 11. I just bought a Nikon D810. I usually shoot in RAW and am a pretty good photographer. Unfortunately I am not deep when it comes to software. I read where PSE 11 will not read the D810 RAW, but I can convert the RAW to DNG which PSE 11 can read. Then I read the conversion from RAW to DNG loses quality. I am not sure what to believe or even if I am interpreting correctly. Does a later version of Elements (12 or 13) have the proper attributes to open the D810 RAW files? Could someone explain what I need to just take RAW pictures and edit them in Some version of Elements? thanks

26. Teus says:

Hi there, I use Windows 7, PS CC 2014 en LR5, have updated to camera raw 8.7 but am still experiencing the following problem. I have a Canon 5d Mark III btw. I copy the pics made to my hard-drive and open them as .cr2 files in PS, camera raw then opens and I make my adjustments. But then I run into a problem. Once I open the images from camera raw into PS CC I end up with pictures that show an enormous amount of noise in them and I can’t seem to get rid of that. Opening the same image as a .jpg file does not cause any problems. What gives?

27. Donna T says:

I have Vista 64 bit, I tried to update to RAW 8.7 and it would not go, took out my raw completely from CS6. I cannot afford the creative cloud solution, CS6 works fine for me and is affordable. I have a D810 and cannot read my NEF files (RAW) files. I backed down to RAW 8.4 and I can read NEF files now, but not the D810. Does RAW 8.7 work on vista 64 bit? I would love to upgrade my OS, but again finances prevent me as it also requires I update proprietary software packages that affect my business.. I know Adobe decides it no longer supports certain things, but in the real world, there are some of us small business people who need solutions that do not cause us to upgrade everything we own for it to work. There must be some sort of solution that someone would deem worthy of working on for us handful of people who are writing on this board with the same issue and the response is always to spend more money…. in the state of photography and economy, sometimes that is not possible… we spend all we own to replace or purchase hardware and have to do it little by little, we are not hobbyists with other fulltime jobs… we are those who are out there taking wildlife pictures, etc… with sometimes little to no internet connectivity because of the remoteness of our locations. The CC is not a viable solution or me nor will it ever be… I certainly hope there are some other software companies out there that understand this and do listen to the consumer/small business owner/freelance wildlife photographer. Anyway… back to my topic… LOL… 8.7 RAW… need it to work on CS6 an Vista 64 bit… help please…

28. Terry Johnson says:

Rick, I have been unable to convert my RAW (NEF) files to DNG in Lightroom . I am shooting with a Nikon D5300 with a Nikon Af-s Nikkor 50mm len1:1.8G lens. The Lightroom program is new to me, but I have followed the instructions to convert RAW and when I do, It doesn’t work and I get a message saying, “the files are not recognized by the RAW format support in Lightroom,” and listed all the pictures I shot in RAW that fail to convert. I have Window 7. Please help, Terry Johnson

29. I am trying to use LR5 and Photoshop cc2014 and I think I have all of the updates including the DNG converter. But when I try to download I get this message. Could not complete your request because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered. I have been able to work around it by using the Nikon software to create a jpeg but it is cumbersome and I am used to working with Ps5 and LR5 so what can I do? The Nikon D4s is an incredible camera but I sure would like to hook it up seamlessly with LR and PScc. Comments?

30. When I am trying to import into photoshop cc 2014, into LR is says the same thing. Now I can change the nef to jpeg in the NX software but what a pain in the rear. Little did I know how much this can get thrown off when you purchase a new camera.

31. I have updated everything I can think of updating and still no cigar. I am not a proud owner of the CC program thinking that it would put me where I need to be but I do have to ask myself why? I know I am not the first buyer of a D4s to have this problem. So help………….

32. using a macpro laptop.

• Rikk Flohr says:

Are you using NX software to offload your images from the camera? If so, is the NX software the latest version? There was an issue with users using older versions of Capture NX to offload and it was corrupting the NEF files so that they couldn’t be read. The solution was to upgrade the NX software or bypass it and use LR to do the offload.

33. No I am using the newest NX software that comes with the camera. I cannot remember the name but it is the newest one and it works fine. I am sure you have a workaround on this until Adobe has the ability to process the D4s images. It is just disconcerting when you are not incredible well versed in how to figure out these hurdles. Old dogs and new tricks I guess you could say.

34. That is the problem Rikk I cannot use LR to download. Even though I have upgraded to the latest and greatest version.

• Rikk Flohr says:

Why is this? How do you download your files (Card reader, Direct Camera Connect, Transfer and import from disk)? What happens when you try? Error messages?

In the interim, I recommend you verify with Nikon’s site that you do indeed have the latest version of View NX2. The version that ships with the camera becomes obsolete very quickly.

35. The program is ViewNX-2 by Nikon.

36. I use the Lexar card reader to download. And the ViewNX-2 seems to work well but when do you think the LR and Photoshop cc 2014 will support this camera. It’s not the ViewNX-2 software that doesn’t work it’s just that I have a workflow that I cannot use now with the Nikon D4s. A bit disconcerting as that is the reason I upgraded to the CC package that I now cannot use. Ironic huh?

• Rikk Flohr says:

If you have Lightroom updated to 5.7.x or higher it reads the D750 files just fine. ACR 8.7.x and higher does as well. Basically this camera has been supported since November in Lightroom and longer in PS (via the ACR RC software).

Some versions of View NX cause files to be become unreadable. I advise that you do not use the Nikon software for ingestion to keep things simple and working.

37. Did you receive my last comment? I don’t see it in the thread. What you say is all good and well except for the fact that the camera I am talking about is the Nikon D4s. I do believe that the View NX-2 corrupts the files as I have seen it and since LR doesn’t seem to be able to handle it and Photoshop cc 2014 doesn’t either you kind of run into a dead end. Now I know the Nikon D4s has been on the market for some time so I am sure there is a workflow around this. It is amazing to me that I have had this camera for three weeks and really cannot figure out how to use the files. Nobody seems to want to give me the answer. Adobe, Nikon or B&H where I purchased it. Of course you cannot just call up adobe. First time in thirty years I have ever had this problem.

38. Lisa says:

I have Photoshop 7.0. I downloaded Adobe DNG Converter in hopes of opening NEF files. Thus far I have not had anyluck. Can you please tell me what I need to do to get them to open?

39. Christopher says:

I’m trying Photoshop free trial at the moment I have a Nikon d3200 camera and using raw with NEF files but will not open in Photoshop I have tried downloading a DNG converter but its not compatible with windows XP where can I get the right plugin from ?

40. Richard B says:

I just upgraded to the D810 (from my trusty and faithful D3). I went to upgrade the Camera Raw but can’t download it because I’m using the Mac OS 10.6.8 . Is there a “lesser” version of Camera Raw that is compatible with my older software? I haven’t upgraded to 10.7 because my business software (Photobyte) isn’t compatible with anything beyond 10.6.8, although they keep saying they’re working on an upgraded version. Thanks!!

• Rikk Flohr says:

The D810 requires Lightroom 5.6 / ACR 8.6 in order to read the raw files.

Camera Raw and the DNG converter for 8.6 require 10.7.x or greater- as does Lightroom 5.6

There is no lesser version you can use that will install on 10.6.8 and read your D810 file. You will need to upgrade your OS.