Adobe Digital Index’s U.S. Digital Video 2014 Inaugural Report report is now available. This report helps broadcasters, cable networks, and distributors anticipate and plan for the changes taking place in how consumers view video. The report covers TV Everywhere and online video viewership trends.
Key points include:
- TV Everywhere grew significantly in 2014. Unique viewers increased 117% YOY and authenticated video starts increased 266% YOY.
- As of Q4 2014, gaming consoles and OTT devices now make up 16% of TV Everywhere authentications.
- Video viewing on mobile devices will overtake desktop video viewing by Q4 2016.
Net/Net: In 2015, consider optimizing the TV Everywhere experience for gaming console and OTT devices and the online video experience for mobile.
Read on for more details from the U.S. Digital Video 2014 Inaugural Report.
TV Everywhere highlights
2014 was the year that TV Everywhere was picked up by the early adopters; in 2015 it could “Cross the Chasm” to the early majority stage. The following key TV Everywhere highlights show you just how big TV Everywhere has become and highlight areas of further growth.
- There’s more people watching more content than ever before via TV Everywhere. On average, 13 million viewers tuned into TV Everywhere services in 2014, up 117% from 6 million in 2013. 2014 saw 2.1 billion authenticated video starts, up 266% from 574 million in 2013.
- Gaming console and over‐the‐top (OTT) devices are taking a bite out of the iOS share of TV Everywhere authentications. Gaming console and OTT device share of authentications rose 50% YOY from 11% in Q4 2013 to 16% in Q4 2014. iOS share of authentications dropped 21% YOY from 57% in Q4 2013 to 45% in Q4 2014.
- Sports content has the most unique visitors in TV Everywhere with 3.2 times as many unique visitors as movie content. However, movie content has the fastest rate of unique visitor growth at a 216% YOY rate of growth.
Online video highlights
The biggest trend in online video is mobile video viewing. The following key online video highlights predict when mobile video viewing will be bigger than desktop video viewing and highlight related video viewing metrics.
- Mobile device video viewing may overtake desktop video viewing by Q4 2016. In Q4 2014, 15% of online video starts took place on smart phones and 12% took place on tablets for a total of 27% of online video starts taking place in mobile. In just two years, this could increase to 50.2%.
- Smartphone completion rates are up. The new, larger‐screen iPhone release in Q4 2014 gave smart phone video completion rates a slight boost with the percent of videos reaching the “50% complete” point on smart phones increasing 7% over the Q3 2014 video completion rates.
- Time spent metrics are up for online video across all devices. Time spent viewing video on a smart phone is up to 24% QoQ. Time spent viewing video on a tablet is up to 16% QoQ. Desktop average video view time is now 16 times longer than the average smart phone video view time, versus the 17 times difference in Q3.
Get the rest of the insights from the U.S. Digital Video 2014 Inaugural Report via the free download here.