As part of the major updates announced to Project Primetime today, we’re thrilled to introduce a beta of the Primetime Media Player. At the core of Primetime, this is the industry’s first technology enabling TV content owners and distributors to reach the broadest audience while immediately monetizing online video experiences through seamless ad insertion and analytics. We’re taking several Adobe video technologies and putting them under a single framework to provide a SDK for video content playback on Mac OS and Windows, plus native iOS and Android apps.
The Primetime Media Player allows for a richer, more robust viewing experience on desktops and mobile devices within apps. With seamless ad insertion and native support for protected playback built into the Player, consumers will enjoy faster video load times, fewer playback errors, and a less obtrusive advertising experience. In short, it just feels like TV. Consumers will also enjoy greater control over their content experience with support for closed captioning and multiple audio tracks (e.g. Spanish or English) when provided by the video publisher. The end result is a positive online video playback experience where the consumer gets what they want – when and how they want it. And, importantly, Primetime Media Player gives publishers and distributors a clear way to drive revenue from their online video experiences, without compromising user experience or audience reach.
Some benefits of the Primetime Media Player include:
- High‐quality Multiple Bit Rate (MBR) video playback support.
- HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) support on iOS and Android.
- HTTP Dynamic Streaming (HDS) support on desktop and Android.
- Content monetization, including ad insertion capabilities and seamless ad insertion with native integration through Adobe MediaWeaver.
- Better insight into your consumer viewing habits and stream quality with native integration with Adobe SiteCatalyst.
- Content Protection and Business Policy Enforcement through Adobe Access – Full DRM and Protected Streaming with selectable output control and key rotation for linear, live and on‐demand video.
The Primetime Media Player also offers fully compliant Communications and Video Accessibility Act (CVAA) features:
- Render in‐stream closed captioning with built‐in support for user‐based rendering overrides
- Native support for multiple audio tracks
We’ve designed the Primetime Media Player with ease‐of‐deployment in mind. Consumers can take advantage of the Player now with very little effort. The only requirement for desktop experiences is installing Adobe Flash Player (version 11.1 or higher). With iOS and Android, it’s already bundled within native apps so no additional plug‐ins or downloads are required. Content formatting and encryption for desktops, iOS and Android is made easy via Adobe StreamKit, which can be integrated into a third party encoder or run as a separate tool. We will continue to announce support for more web‐connected platforms in the future, such as game consoles, Over‐the‐Top (OTT) devices, and connected TVs. We’re excited to see the Primetime Media Player deliver an improved broadcast TV experience online while consumers reap the benefits.
Check out the video overview of Project Primetime below and our other blogs posts around other Primetime updates: Adobe MediaWeaver, our new ad insertion service, and full integration with Adobe advertising and data solutions. Stay tuned for more updates around Project Primetime coming soon!