We’re entering a new era in our industry that’s all about creating an exceptional customer experience at every touch point.
This trend is particularly relevant to over-the-top streaming video providers. Their initial focus may have been simply on delivering video across screens. Now, it's about using data, insights, and personalization technologies to deliver an exceptional and relevant experience across screens that attracts and retains viewers.
Recently, I discussed this trend with Tom Krackeler and Rachel English on the Subscribed podcast, which is dedicated to exploring the global shift toward subscriptions and recurring revenue business models. The podcast is sponsored by Zuora, where Tom is VP of Products and Rachel is Director of Customer Success.
Tune in to the podcast for expert insights into running an OTT service as an experience business:
Listen for key insights in the following areas:
- Delivery - The entry point for OTT services is delivering video across screens.
- Usability - Audiences are one click, tap, or press on the remote away from something else. So, OTT services have to be really easy to sign into and access. And, it has to be really easy to find and discover things to watch.
- Acquisition - The trick to acquisition is being relevant to your audience, having really great content and an incredible digital experience.
- Retention - You have to know how to engage your audience after they become subscribers.
- Business models - There are three main business models in OTT. These are pay as you go, subscription, and ad supported business models. There's also a hybrid model, which combines these within one service.
- Analytics - One exciting application of analytics is to look at the engagement signals that lead casual viewers to subscribe and then reach more people with those signals.
- Data - Data is making the OTT experience more personal and relevant at every level. It's enhancing video delivery, acquisition marketing, and retention marketing.