Hope you are well. I am happy to let you know that we have released an important update to the Technical Communication line of products which includes FrameMaker 12, FrameMaker XML Author 12 and RoboHelp 11. In this update, we have made several enhancements as well as addressed many issues, reported by our customers and partners. In this post, I will be covering the updates made to FrameMaker 12 and FM XML Author 12 products only. For information on the RoboHelp update, please see another post here.
Here is the list of enhancements we have made to the FM line of products
Native Multi-Device Publishing, which was introduced in FM12, has been further enhanced
- Compressed WebHelp Skins can be imported into the Publish settings.
- HTML Page templates can be used to create mini-TOCs, breadcrumbs, and headers and footers in the published outputs
- WebHelp Gallery is included in the publish settings to allow users to select from a gallery of skins
- A RoboHelp Import Settings (.isf) can be imported into the publishing settings (.sts) file.
FrameMaker XML Author Enhancements
- PDF generated from FM XML Author now does not have watermark or font fading
- Table Straddle feature is now enabled
- Docbook support
Common enhancements to both FrameMaker and FM XML Author
- Packager functionality: Now, you can easily package up your XML files, books OR DITAmaps with all related files into a zip file for archiving or distribution
- Drag and drop to open files has been enhanced to include even dragging on document window and pods
- DITAmap preview feature now works with child DITAmaps as well
- Several Structure view enhancements including drag and drop into another element, easy expansion and collapse of all child elements and attributes
- Faster launch of Smart Catalog
- Another option to see help is now available through the HelpViewer that allows you to view context-sensitive FM Help documentation from within the product and in an offline mode
In addition to these enhancements, we have fixed several important issues that had been reported. For a complete list of enhancements and bug fixes, please refer to the Read Me files for FrameMaker and FrameMaker XML Author. You can also check out the updated documentation to learn more about these.
These updates are now available through Adobe Update Manager (AUM). You can check for updates through Help > Update menu in the product. Also, these updates will be available through the FM Support Center soon.
I hope that you will find many of these enhancements useful to your specific workflows. It will be our endeavor to release these updates on a continuous basis to meet the needs of our customers. I do want to say “Thank You!” to all of those who submitted these ideas and bug reports. Keep your feedback coming!