This blog post was co-authored with Amitoj Singh, product manger for Adobe FrameMaker.
tl;dr Update 2 for FrameMaker 2019 brings an enhanced DITA template import workflow, an even more powerful DITA customization plugin, and fixes a couple of issues with the new PDF engine. Update 2 also fixes a couple of issues and crashers reported by users and partners.
Just a few days ago we released Update 2 for Adobe FrameMaker (2019 release). In this second update since the launch of FrameMaker 2019 on August 22, 2018, and Update 1 released in October 2018, we have incorporated a number of enhancements and ironed out a lot of smaller glitches. I would like to extend big thanks to all those who’ve contributed by reporting issues and helping us improve the product. We have been actively listening to your feedback. Please continue to send us your feedback. We’re listening and will continue to improve the product as we go along in the coming months.
The detailed release notes are available here.
What’s new and better
Following is the major list of areas where most enhancements and bug fixes have been undertaken as part of Update 2.
Enhanced DITA template import workflow
With FrameMaker 2019 release, you could save your output templates being used with DITAMAP when creating PDF using Book with Components route. Earlier, you had to import each template (chapter, section, etc) individually. We have enhanced the functionality so that you could browse a folder containing those templates and then import those in one go and save in an .sts file.
Enhanced DITA customization plugin
With Update 2, the DITA customization plugin has further been enhanced in the following areas:
- Improvements in the user interface
- Allowing creation of constraints for any element
- Pre-selecting topic and constraint on basis of the currently open file
- Importing a new EDD or a modified CSS into the currently open file
The constrained element can be configured using a simple User Interface and then the constraint incorporated in a customized DITA shell. There is a guide for customizing DITA which can be referred here.
Some of the other issues addressed in this update are:
- Content created using Symbol fonts was not published correctly in PDF output.
- In some cases, there were issues with MathML equations rendering in the generated PDF.
- In some cases, an incorrect password message was thrown when generating Mobile App output.
- The Go To Next Page icon was missing in the user interface where colored icons are used.
- The 32-bit version of FrameMaker 2019 was not able to import PDF comments.
- Few crashers reported by customers in areas such as opening the Insets pod, while generating a PDF with transparent EPS images, and when the file path of the STS file contained special characters.
The full list of fixed Issues and fixed crashers is available here.
How to get Update 2 of FrameMaker 2019 release
The best way to update the FrameMaker 2019 application is to selectFrameMaker’s main menu to check for the latest update.
After the update, the FrameMaker version will be 126.96.36.1993. That’s good to know, isn’t it?
Found a bug? Want to suggest an improvement? Let us know!
You found a bug? You have an idea? You want to get something improved in the product?
There’s a channel for that: We call it “Adobe Tracker.” Adobe Tracker is your place to go when you find a bug and want to report it to us so that we can fix it in the next release. You can also file in your feature requests, ideas, requests for improvements. It’s very easy to do and the reports go directly into our systems, and our product managers, engineers, and support people have direct access to it.
Before you file a bug report or idea, you might want to check, if someone else has done it already. You can search through the database here. In case you find something fitting, you can add comments to the existing bug and you can also “vote” for this bug or feature request. And the more people vote for a feature … You get the idea.